Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like some of the counter event cards can be played after the phases in which the attacker and defender must declare their combat cards. Marhabal's cavalry seems like one of these cards. It does little for the Carthiginians if played before the actual battle - it seems like its best use is in the middle of the battle once players start playing their BC's.

I guess the bigger question is how do you know when a counter event card must be played before BC's are handed out and when it can (or must) played after attacker/defender cards are played or as the BC's are being played?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me - what does Marhabals Cavalry do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
I don't have the game in front of me - what does Marhabals Cavalry do?

It is playable only by the Carthaginian Player and is the equivalent of a Double Envelopment Battle Card BUT the initiative is NOT automatically lost if the Roman player matches the card.

So, this particular 'counter event' card is played during the battle rounds phase.

Edit : Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I also just found it int the rules appendix (the part with the card clarifications):

Quote:
Marharbal's Cavalry: May be played even after you have
played your last regular BC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick nichols
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. What version of rules has this in the card explanation appendix? My Valley Games edition of the rules has no explanation for this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senor Swanky wrote:
Thanks. What version of rules has this in the card explanation appendix? My Valley Games edition of the rules has no explanation for this card.

It has all the information written on the card,

"Play during any battle. You may use this card as a Double Envelopment BC which (if matched) does not automatically give the defender the initiative. This card may be played even after you have played your last regular BC."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest downloading the Avalon Hill 2nd edition rules - you can use the card appendix of this rules edition (my quote was from there). I use the Avalon Hill rules in cases when the Valley Games rules are unclear - sometimes it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a related question that came up. We played that the opponent who matches Maharbal's Cavalry can roll for initiative as he would be able to do for any other matched card. It's just that matching it doesn't give an AUTOMATIC initiative. Is that how everyone else plays it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter White
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Question:
What happens if Maharbals Cavalry is used in DEFENSE..?

Ie, Rome plays a DE , and Carthage plays Maharbals Cav to counter it.
Does Carthage need to roll for the intiative??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, since you NEVER roll for initiative after a Double Envelopment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.