Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on how to play this with paper and pencil without copious amounts of erasing? I really love this game and would like to be able to sneak in a few plays with my kids while on road trips or in other settings. They (sons ages 8/11) like it too and ask to play it, which is rare for an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I can imagine in theory the following:

The idea is that each hex will have a string of digits (1, 2, 3), representing a stack of disks. Thus at the start of the game, each hex has exactly one digit. There are 2 colors of digits. (They don't have to be digits, just 3 distinct symbols.)

Concretely, start with a printed map with blank hexes. Write little digits (1, 2, or 3) in the upper left part of each hex to represent the 3 types of pieces, using 2 colors of pen for the 2 players' colors. When a stack moves out of a hex, simple black out that hex (so you don't need to erase - in Tzaar you'll never re-occupy an empty hex, so you can just cover it over with pencil/ink/whatever). Copy the string of digits onto the end of the string of digits in the target hex. If it was an enemy target hex, scratch over the enemy digits; if it was a friendly target hex, it now has more digits. The number of digits in a hex represents the number of disks and their type. The first digit in the string is the bottom-most disk and the last digit is the top-most disk; new disks/digits are appended to the end of the string. Wrap onto several lines in the hex if needed.

Doesn't sound very enjoyable to play Tzaar on paper, but sounds possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can pretty much visualize what you're saying, and it sounds like it would work. Not as much fun as bakelite, but definitely funner than any number of meetings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.