Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
∞S-But That Never Happens!

I was able to play a game of Cosmic Eidex recently. Well, actually we just played Eidex sans the Cosmic powers. But even then, it's a great game.

The Players:
Rethington
Snowman882
Rayito

Part 1: When Rayito Ruled the Earth

Things were pretty even at first and after the first three hands we all had two points.

The fourth hand was Bottom Up. I was dealt the following:
Ravens: 6, 7
Hearts: 8, Q
Stars: 10
Lizards: 6, 7, 9, 10, Q, K, A

One of my extremely minor complaints about this game is that it's so hard to go Match. But when I get a hand like this one I have to try.

I contemplated hiding the 10 to start void in Stars, but quickly changed my mind and stuffed the Queen of Hearts since it would be nearly impossible to win a trick with her.

First play Snowman882 led with a weak Heart. I played the 8, the only heart left in my hand. Rethington played under the 8 to dodge points. Things were going well.

I decided to lead the 10 of Stars. This was the make or break point. It's worth a lot of points and I assumed the neither Rethington nor Snowman882 would want to commit to taking a lot of points this early.

My gamble paid off and both played weak Stars. Nothing could beat my Ravens and I had the two most powerful Lizards to scoop up the two Lizards I didn't have assuming one of my opponent's had both.

I had pulled off a Match hand, something I'd never seen before! I now had 4 points while my opponents were still at 2.

Part 2: Falling
There's a tricky dynamic in Cosmic Eidex. Except for in rare situations, only two of the three players will pick up a VP. Either two of the players take each other on to go low while the third get's the VP for most points. Or two players will fight tooth and nail for most points while the third sails to a "least points" VP.

I found myself getting dealt many semi-powerful hands. These are tricky to play because the other players can play over or under as they desire. I often found myself having to switch gears half way through a hand; trying to take points when I had been trying to stay low or vice versa. I was getting flustered.

Over the next four hands I got one VP to Rethington's 3 and Snowman882's 4. Snowman882 was one VP away from victory while Rethington and I were still at 5. If Rethington and I want a chance at victory we have to take the two VPs in the next hand.

The cards are dealt and again I get a semi-powerful hand. ERRGGG!

Part 3: Out of the Blue
I decide to take points as forcing another player over 100 will be difficult. This hand is a normal trump hand with Lizards being trump. I have five of the nine Lizards but I don't have the Jack or the 9.

Early on in the hand Snowman882 leads a Lizard and Rethington plays out of suit. It becomes pretty clear that Rethington has no trumps and is going to take the least points fairly easily. Snowman882 has the Jack and the 9. It's obvious he wants to take most points this hand and the fight is on. And fight it is, since he has more low cards than I do and can easily keep himself under 100 points.

The one bonus I have in my corner is that every time Snowman882 leads, I play second and Rethington third. If I play a powerful card Rethington can dump what points he has on me, though he has to follow suit if he can.

After scooping up some points, Snowman882 leads a weak Heart as the hand is winding down. I still have a couple of Hearts of middling power and decide to follow suit, rather than trump, in order to rid myself of one of the last weak cards in my hand.

Rethington curses, throws an Ace of Hearts, his only Heart, and takes the trick. He was playing low cards so confidently I didn't suspect he had any power in his hand. But that's eleven points I'll not be getting and Snowman882's score and mine are very close.

We both are pulling out all the stops to get any points we can and finally the hand ends. We do the tally. We all add up our points and compare to see who will get the VPs.

Again something happens I've never seen before. We add the points up a couple of times just to be sure, but Snowman882 and I both end up with 67 points. When two players tie two VPs are awarded to the third player.

Rethington is victorious.

Cosmic Eidex is such a cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night for the first time. Indeed, a cool game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: #S-But That Never Happens!
The all tricks thing is indeed rare. I think it's a wonderful rule to have in the game though, because it keeps the game from devolving into a pure pitch fest. I find that in an average hand, players tend to converge on pitching over taking, this rule means that on occasion, cagey players with strong hands can take advantage of that, take some of the easy books early with moderately powerful or even weak cards, and then run the table with their actual power.

Superb game though, agreed. Hugely replayable, always interesting, my gold star favourite card game for 3 players without question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: #S-But That Never Happens!
CortexBomb wrote:
The all tricks thing is indeed rare. I think it's a wonderful rule to have in the game

It's not that I wish the rule wasn't there. I just wish it was easier to go Match. Though I honestly can't think of a way to do this that wouldn't stink up the game.

I agree that taking the least number of points is the most desirable way to go because you'll get a VP whether another player breaks 100 or not. But the folks I play with are pretty agressive and are more willing to get a VP for most points than try to push a player over 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.