Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excluding Magic The Gathering, what in your opinion are the top 3 CCGs? You can include "dead" CCGs (netrunner for example). BTW, the reason I excluded MTG is because it would be at the top anyways and I wanted to focus on other CCGs I may have not considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be so sure Magic would be at the top...

Highlander: The Card Game
Corunea
Hecatomb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Lettieri
Italy
Pomezia
flag msg tools
LL
badge
Magnus
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle-earth, by ICE. The old CCG about LOTR (not the new one by Decipher). The best CCG system by far, IMO; many aspects of the game resemble a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Legend of the Five Rings: Alive and going strong after a massive reset in 2007.
Deadlands: Doomtown: Dead but great fun.
Warlord: Saga of the Storm: Critically wounded but returning in a non-collectible format this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
lu.le. wrote:
Middle-earth, by ICE. The old CCG about LOTR (not the new one by Decipher). The best CCG system by far, IMO; many aspects of the game resemble a boardgame.

If I could put 4 on my list, that'd be the one. Awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
7th Sea and Doomtown are both in my top 10 due to theme and play.

I'd probably give the third slot to Netrunner, although I haven't done any construction with it (and feel no desire to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
1ST TIER
GUARDIANS, X-FILES, KULT. All awesome boardgame/cardgame hybrids.

2ND TIER/HONORABLE MENTION
SHADOWRUN, SHADOWFIST, OVER THE EDGE.

For my money, the mechanics of DOOMTOWN and 7TH SEA made deckbuilding too nightmarish (I personally wouldn't quite recommend NETRUNNER for the same reason), and the sum total of expansions for DOOMTOWN and LEGEND OF THE 5 RINGS make them hard for me to recommend (SHADOWFIST hits my 2nd tier for similar reasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:

Warlord: Saga of the Storm: Critically wounded but returning in a non-collectible format this summer.

That is endlessly fascinating...Warlord was a game I enjoyed, but I didn't dig the collectible nature...thanks for mentioning that!

I vote for the GAMEID=3487. Simple and well themed, and I've seen lots of different builds be succesfull.

Personal best deck: Supernovas with Retrofitted Lasers driven by Red-Line Pilots on an inside job stockpile run. Lots of Fenris mechs variants to 'hold the fort' because they're cheap, and a few cards to let you dig cards from your scrapheap to get inside jobs/mechs as required.

EDIT: Hrm...that should show 'Battletech CCG'. If you search for it it shows up, but the gameID link thingy didn't work! I'm a newb!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nightmare Before Christmas TCG
Star Wars Customizable Card Game
Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Blackwolf
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one, but nevertheless; Call of Cthulhu CCG from the Fantasy Flight Games
... for me, because I like the Mythos, because the game seems to do a fantastic job with tying the mechanics to the story and the overall feel and, for a big part, because it is no longer a CCG, but a Living Card Game (LCG), with monthly packs of cards of fixed content, which means you know what you get for your money. The big pool of cards from previous sets that is still out there will satisfy any collector and allow for diversity of meta for some time to come, while the new format deals with (in my humble opinion) somewhat outdated logic that you should buy boxes of cards in order to stay competitive. And the art is really nice, described by the folks at FF as "Movie Poster Cthulhu" - the roaring twenties meets X-files, Indiana Jones and really dark corners of the universe ... goo
Should you have any questions about CoC don't hesitate to contact me, I'll do my best to help.

Oh, and the above mentioned Hecatomb is on the top of my "To try" list - weird shape, cool mechanics, morbid theme that doesn't take itself entirely seriously and hillarious prices. I know a chap who is doing his best to get a hold of the copyright for Hecatomb, as he would really like to try giving it a second chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
L5R
L5R
L5R

Great CCG, wonderful storyline, amazing community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 2 CCGs I plyed that were really worth a damn besides M:tg were Netrunner and Legend of the Five Rings. Both were good enough that I kept my cards and still play them.

I hear that Legend of the Burning Sands was quite excellent. Unfortunately I never had an oppertunity to try it for myself.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Netrunner
2. Middle-earth CCG
3. L5R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadlands
A Game of Thrones
Mythos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Middle Earth CCG (ICE, not Decipher, props to the poster that beat me to it)
Legend of the five rings
Shadowrun was always a blast for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Kolman
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the top three are as follows (Magic would be my #1)

1. Netrunner - I love the asymmetrical nature of this CCG, and since I was into the Cyberpunk RPG, that pushes this above...

2. Overpower - I really liked the combat system here, and there were some tough decisions on which attacks to save and which to use. I also liked the discard multiples rule, which added a real twist to deck building. A caveat is that I only like the base set; I thought the expansions were too powerful.

3. Illuminati: New World Order - My friends and I had a great time with the collectible version of Illuminati, so this makes it to #3. The best multiplayer CCG that I've played, our games would take hours to complete.

Noah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiplayer (more than 2 players):

Vampire: the Eternal Struggle
Babylon 5
Legend of the 5 Rings

2 Player:

Netrunner
Lord of the Rings (Decipher)
Star Wars (Decipher)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Canning
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to pick

1. Star Wars Customizable Card Game
2. A Game of Thrones Collectible Card Game (Which just recently left the traditional collectible format)
3. Warhammer 40,000 Collectible Card Game (This was an absolutely great CCG that got killed by later expansions. The base set plus the first few expansions makes for a great game.)

Also, for what it is worth, Magic: The Gathering wouldn't even be in my top 5 of ccgs that I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides M:TG, I never tried any that I considered good. I tried Gridiron, Galactic Empires, Pokemon, Aliens vs. Predator,Overpower and Star Wars (the first incarnation).

I'm just glad I was able to stop playing M:TG last year (after 13 years) and move onto boardgames. Much more variety for less cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll split mine multiplayer and not:

2-player:
Netrunner
L5R
Dixie

Multi:
Guardians
LotR (Decipher)
Shadowfist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
tibbs2 wrote:
Besides M:TG, I never tried any that I considered good. I tried Gridiron, Galactic Empires, Pokemon, Aliens vs. Predator, Overpower and Star Wars (the first incarnation).

Yeesh - with a list like that, I understand - GALACTIC EMPIRES and ALIENS VS. PREDATOR were pretty sad stuff, and I never did take to OVERPOWER myself...I thought Decipher's STAR WARS was pretty well-regarded in the day, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
L5R
Star Wars CCG

Actually, I'd go with whatever themes interest you. I used to love playing LotR TCG. The gameplay was subpar, but I just liked what the game was about.

EDIT: I forgot about MLB Showdown. Being a baseball fan, I like playing it a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Netrunner
2. Call of Cthulhu CCG (FFG)
3. Lord of the Rings (Decipher)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek CCG (2nd Edition)
Netrunner
Middle Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic's defnitely #1

Netrunner
Middle-earth CCG
L5R

I don't know where Dreamblade would fit in (a CMG?), but it's excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.