Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've seen talk about this before, but I got lost in the transition between one printing and another. This is a really expensive game, so I don't want to pay so much money for a copy with so many errors.

If I order a copy of this game today, do I get a copy with cards that bend like we've seen pictures as well as the need for a fix kit for other bad components?

Or have all the problems been fixed now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:

The next printing (3rd edition) will probably fix some of the problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaelistus wrote:
If I order a copy of this game today, do I get a copy with cards that bend like we've seen pictures as well as the need for a fix kit for other bad components?

If you place an order before the new edition comes out, you'll never be sure, because no one knows what a printer will send back until it has been received. On the other hand, if you wait to see what the quality of the new edition is, it could be sold out before you can get a copy.

It's like what Will Rogers said about the stock market, "Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm playing it safe. I have enough games that I don't need to gamble on an unknown like this and certainly not at the price they ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still a really good game - the component issues are pretty minor for me. Declining to buy, based on the component quality, indicates that you may be a collector, or hoping to resell your copy later? If so, no, it's not for you. But if you like the game and want to play it, it may be worth accepting the production warts.
Cost is still a valid factor. Perhaps you could persuade your best gaming buddy of the game's merits, and get him to buy it instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidb3 wrote:
It's still a really good game - the component issues are pretty minor for me. Declining to buy, based on the component quality, indicates that you may be a collector, or hoping to resell your copy later? If so, no, it's not for you. But if you like the game and want to play it, it may be worth accepting the production warts.
Cost is still a valid factor. Perhaps you could persuade your best gaming buddy of the game's merits, and get him to buy it instead?

I agree. I'm definitely unhappy with the component screw-ups and such, but the gameplay makes this a game I'm glad I have. I buy to play, not to resell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not a collector. Of my 280 games or so, I have 3 unplayed! I buy to play and the only things I get rid of is stuff I math trade to get things I may like better.

But component quality is important. I mean, we're not paying $70 for a rulebook. I could make my own cards If I didn't care about the overall look and feel of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I'm probably in the minority, but here goes...

I determine the value of a game by dividing the cost of the game by hours played. Thus, a $5 game that is never played has a terrible value. Whereas, a $70 game this is played twice a week for 6 months is an excellent value.

That being said, I was a bit disappointed by the component quality. However, I knew that to be the case when I made the purchase--and I bought the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also important to note that the screw-ups really don't affect game play whatsoever, except for perhaps the card warping. However, keeping my cards stored in tuck boxes has flattened them right out and it's no longer a problem.

Even without the fix packs, you'd probably never run into any problems, and the free fix pack eliminates the off-chance that you'll ever run into a game play problem.

So, if you really want to play the game, I'd just get it now so you can start enjoying the game. The problems with this print run are relatively minor and have been blown out of proportion, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Issues with component quality are the sole reason I haven't bought this game in a heartbeat. If I am going to spend ~$70 on a game I want the components to be as error-free as possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
Issues with component quality are the sole reason I haven't bought this game in a heartbeat. If I am going to spend ~$70 on a game I want the components to be as error-free as possible!

I'm similar. I'd say the components are in effect, saving me 70$ I shouldn't be spending anyways! laugh

Though, I am curious, if one buys the game nowadays, how tough is it get the fix packs? That wasn't just for pre-orders or what not right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb

This is one of those questions you can only answer for yourself, obviously, but I would echo what others have said:

Game Design: A+
Production: F

It's hard to reconcile such disparity in the "game" (design) with the "game" (physical). Personally, if I were still looking to get this game, I would wait until it was out, to hear what the new edition is like first. Deferring a purchase is no big deal to me, though.

I have played this game a lot and it's very good --worthy of a top-10 rating IMHO. Think of some other top-10 game you enjoy; would you feel differently if you paid $70 and got a crappy production? Or would you still get a lot of enjoyment from it and not get hung up on the disappointing implementation?

If it's the latter, pre-order it. Otherwise, wait and see what the early feedback is once it's back in stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:

Though, I am curious, if one buys the game nowadays, how tough is it get the fix packs? That wasn't just for pre-orders or what not right?

I added my name to this list: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/286605/page/1
And Keith from Fred emailed me right away about the fix pack, which I have subsequently received. But from the poll on the general tab many have not received it. Although I dont know if those who haven't yet received it have had any correspondence with Keith or not.

Also, when the 3rd edition comes out supposed to be able to get the new board for cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
roboman wrote:

You should also consider FRED's poor customer service. Their responses on this issue have been grudging at best.

You'll note that Keith no longer sees fit to address his customers in public.

Despite FRED starting to send out the so-called "fix packs" two months ago, I have yet to receive one; the same applies to everyone that I know who owns the game, and they all put in for them. Must have gotten lost in the mail. All of them.

You'll also note a distinct lack of a definitive answer regarding replacement cards, and the issue of replacement boards has also fallen off the radar...

Even if you can deal with the mandated (high) sale price, and the dodgy component quality, FRED's customer service should be enough to put you off.

I've said it before, and I'm saying it again, if this product had been released by a reputable company, like Rio Grande or Fantasy Flight, all of this would have been cheerfully taken care of a long time ago. The fact that it *still* hasn't been dealt with should speak volumes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.