United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who is trying to build and maintain a gaming group, It would be a HUGE help if more geeks listed their cites and not just their state. Every time I see "California" but no city, I cringe.

I am curious if there is a reason for this. Lazyness, Paranoia, just wondering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't want to be bothered by people trying to form gaming groups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
They don't want to be bothered by people trying to form gaming groups?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Edwards Jr
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
As someone who is trying to build and maintain a gaming group, It would be a HUGE help if more geeks listed their cites and not just their state. Every time I see "California" but no city, I cringe.

I am curious if there is a reason for this. Lazyness, Paranoia, just wondering...

They dont want you to know, everybody else is fine but not you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:

How would you find board gamers with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they'd rather not say than just flat out lie. Some people wanna keep honest. I myself have briefly entertained being British or Nebraskan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Edwards Jr
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
pwn3d wrote:

How would you find board gamers with this?

Click it and people automatically appear. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm paranoid enough to use a pseudonym, how stupid would I have to be to tell everyone my home town?

Oh, wait... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Item 1 -- It is remarkably simple for someone to find you these days with so much as a name and a hometown. No sense having someone show up at your door uninvited, especially if you are a member of the fairer sex.

Item 2 -- Tattoos can be removed -- the web is forever. Any little snippet you have posted on the Internet could be a deal-breaker for a future employer, future spouse, future creditor, or future voter, regardless of how young you were when you wrote it, or just how little thought you put into it. My name is so common and the same as a famous persons, so I can pretty much hide in the weeds if I post under it. Add a hometown to that and people can zoom in pretty doggone quickly.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    Item 1 -- It is remarkably simple for someone to find you these days with so much as a name and a hometown.....

Coming from someone who lists his GPS coordinates

LOL Of the few places where I have been in the US I have been in front of your house/work/the coordinates you list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
minordemon wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
    Item 1 -- It is remarkably simple for someone to find you these days with so much as a name and a hometown.....

Coming from someone who lists his GPS coordinates

LOL Of the few places where I have been in the US I have been in front of your house/work/the coordinates you list.

The location listed is a favorite place of mine for playing Hive.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Probably a fear of being tracked down. Seriously. I don't know why the same people who never worried about having a listed number in the phone book suddenly became so paranoid once they got online, but they (you? ) sure have. Maybe this phenomenon has to do with so many folks saying all kinds of completely rude, vicious, trollish things online that they would never say to someone's face. Of course, if you never type something you wouldn't say aloud, this is not a problem.

OTOH, I have always posted anywhere I post using my real name. As a consequence, I've been "found" by numerous people I've lost touch with over the last thirty years, which has allowed me to catch up with some old friends I wondered about over the years and were really glad to hear from again. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
pwn3d wrote:

Ewwww, it claims I'm .... old. soblue

Of course, it also thinks I'm an "Account Executive," which is probably up there on my top ten list of Jobs I Will Be Forced to Hold in Hell. (Numbers 1-9 include "mother," "daycare worker," "school teacher," "large animal vet [anyone see that recent "Dirty Jobs" at the cow farm? I couldn't look at the screen for almost 40 minutes], "mom," "housewife," "convenience store clerk," "rag-picker in Bangladesh," and "nanny.") Shows you how much *they* know!

For the record, I'm timeless. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
I've found cities useful.

* To avoid shipping costs, I pretty much only trade with people in the SF Bay Area.

* Someone just posted a geeklist of what games they'd like to play at a local convention. I found out he lives in the SF Bay Area, so I suggested several Euro gaming groups that could help him.

* BTW, I did a quick search on Meetup.com for gaming groups in Bakersfield. Unfortunately, all I saw was Bunco and D&D. http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/bakersfield/

aka. Washu! ^O^
You could try starting your own meetup, although you'd also have to pay fees to the site. If you get enough of a crowd, you could collect $1 to $5 for some of the events to help cover those costs

Also try checking Meetin.org. It's not categorized by interest nor topic, but basically a whole bunch of social events go there. Bar hopping, movies, watching sports, playing your own sports games, gun firing, parties, dining, etc. There should be a hub or location near your area. Use the search box to search on "board", "game", or something like that. Otherwise, if you don't find any board gaming events there, you could start your own. That site is free, but they'll probably want you to attend at least one event before you host your own

When you do post an event, may wanna avoid titles like "eurogames", as undoubtedly, some of the people you're trying to attract either won't know what eurogames are or may be turned off by it, thinking it's some european thing or whatever, when in fact I've met some people who tried eurogames and loved it, but wouldn't never thought about pursuing a hobby like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be realistic.
If someone wants to steal your identity or stalk you it will NOT be through BGG.
If you want to hide your name, fine.
But hiding your city doesn't make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smack Daddy
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Are you kidding?

If I gave out my home city I'd have women lined up for miles...:shake:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have assumed that gamers would want to find other gamers and that BGG would be a great tool. It's just too bad that it's come to this - everyone must be anonymous either because they're paranoid or such.

I have tried meetup.com and other sites as well. ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you are a homeowner people can get very detailed info on you. Realtors get access to alot of personal info when you own property. So keeping your name and city hidden is worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Purple Squirrel is just ashamed of where he lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.