Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an email mostly shooting the breeze with Joe. Every few years I update him on the expansion of his original design model, Iron Tide. He is a busy man being historian for the 29 ID, author of yet another book and former game designer for the now out of business, SPI game company.
It seems that one of the last projects on his table before the demise of the company was VitW Salerno. I told him that it would be printed in the new Decision Games, World at War magazine w/game in 2010 sometime as issue #11. He seemed excited and said he felt good that the project was in "good hands".
I told him I loved his books on the Normandy D-Day invasion: Omaha and the second Utah, that I have just finished. He reminded me that his third in the set Brittany, was complete and that his efforts to find a copy of Iron Tide have so far, been fruitless. I suggested he sign a copy of Brittany and trade me straight across if he was having a hard time. I still haven't heard his response.
What is great is the work that is being done. I am happy to be in the position to design and develop work from the VitW mold. I do alter it according to the needs of the simulation as I see it, so if you are looking for a direct copy of work already completed, look elsewhere.
Salerno will be very much the same in essence, but like Iron Tide will change and add systems to fit.
I hope to begin a page here at BGG for Salerno when the simple announcement of its publication becomes more in the form of an advertisment in the line of magazines they publish, S&T, Fire and Movement and now World at War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a coincidence. I've just finished up a solo session of his "Omaha Beachhead" What a nice little gem of a game. Some interesting mechanisms.

I believe Iron Tide is still available at PRP or the Wargame Depot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, are you going to be at Gamex this weekend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cisco, man I wish. I am squeezed, but busting out for almost a solid week to Tempe for the convention. I see you are going.... now you are going to both? Must be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, I haven't played that one. Did Atlantic Wall a few times however. I do reccomend the books if you like the subject matter. Both have a similar thread of overall view from behind the scenes but with first hand accounts down at the beach and beyond. Imentioned the sources to Joe, but he is out of wargaming for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It seems that one of the last projects on his table before the demise of the company was VitW Salerno. I told him that it would be printed in the new Decision Games, World at War magazine w/game in 2010 sometime as issue #11.

Never heard of this magazine. I'm interested in a Salerno game using the VitW system, so I'll need to look into it. Thanks for bringing it it to our attention.

P.S. My copy of Iron Tide is not for sale or trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats right, the WAW magazine is just around the corner from producing its debut issue. http://www.decisiongames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just boxed up one of my last boxed editions and addressed it to Joe. He accepted my offer and I will be getting a signed copy of his new Brittany book very soon. I don't know who got the better deal...

Some old 2006 news:

Author Joe Balkoski sends word of his latest project:

"Currently, I am nearly finished with a history of the 29th Infantry Division in the Brittany campaign, August-September 1944. The story of the 29th's effort to capture the vital port of Brest is extraordinary and, in the end, tragic—for the port was never used by the Allies for the rest of the war. Nevertheless, the untold story of that campaign still resonates because it so typified the brutal fighting the US Army experienced against such a formidable opponent. Thanks for supporting my work and stay tuned for developments on the Brest book. Later I will probably move on to tell the story of the 29th Division in the early fighting in Holland and Germany, October - December 1944."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from Joe that he did receive Iron Tide and have his approval of the changes to the VitW system original. I explained a little of the history of those changes, including the mandatory combat that kept sending the 110 and 109 battalions of the 28th ID to the dead pile before they could erect their historic defense.
He thanked me for keeping it not only simple, but to the original aim of the system, to help newer wargamers learn the hobby in a constructive way. He also offered some light on a command and control addition that he might have added if SPI had stayed in business. His GBotCW series has some of these ideas built in, but I have none of the series to compare.
I got a signed copy of his From Beachhead to Brittany book on the 29th ID job of capturing Brest from the German die hards. So far this has to be one of the best WWII books I have read yet. I highly reccomend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, it was Joe that started the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) series which Ed Beach has carried on nicely. I remember reading some of his older, more generalized WWII history books, and enjoying them. Maybe someday I'll look these new ones up for a gander...

Oh, and how would I go about getting an autographed copy of Salerno?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, very simple. Just write a bestseller on WWII game design and send me a signed copy! Hey, its still over a year off until its printed. Hit me when the artwork starts popping up. Also it feels pretty nice to get the nod from Joe after all the time I spent on Iron Tide. If I told you all of the conventions I brought the prototype to, just to show. Oh wait, I just got back from one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up on this thread I want to tell anyone interested in the Normandy and related period battles that my reading of the US 29th infantry division involvement with the battle of reducing the fortress of Brest is excellently handled by Joe Balkoski.
I highly reccomend 'From Beachhead to Brittany', as well as Utah and Omaha books that tell the US part in the D-Day invasion story in a detailed, informative way. He became the 29th division historian as a result of his detailed research and care in explaining the terrible events as they took place. Once you realize that most of the participants in the actual invasion were used up by the time of the Brest operation, you begin to see the cost of WWII in a very real personal way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.