United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
For some of yall that may be flying into BGG Con and thinking about flying American Airlines, they are now charging passengers $15 for checking in a bag. I think last month they just started charging $25 for the second bag.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hyUIzoUpCVrtSdBUn85IyAs_E...

Packing for a weekend, plus dragging any games to/from the convention can really add up.

So plan accordingly. Hope to see yall there!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were them I'd start charging for every carried on bag. Doing a lot of business travel I can tell you the most annoying and slow thing about boarding the plane is those people who insist on carrying on there entire wardrobe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now people are going to try to drag more stuff on board as carry-on luggage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate that it has come to this. I expect that most other airlines will follow suit before long. Yeah, this will reduce the number of people flying to GenCon, Origins, WBC, Essen, and other major board game conventions. Those who continue to attend will carry less, and will opt to have anything they purchase at conventions mailed to them instead of carrying games back.

I can see it now - crazy as these ideas might seem, one or more may become true soon:

1. No flight reservation may be made more than 7 days ahead of time. Because fuel prices are rising so quickly, this will be the only way the airlines can assure that they can get enough revenue from each seat.

2. Prices will be based strictly on weight and distance. This applies to passengers as well as luggage. (My apologies to all those among us who would be adversely affected by this.) Of course, minimum "per bag" and "per passenger" fees will still apply; that $15 for the first bag may well become $15 plus $2/pound ($4.40 or so per kilogram) for instance.

3. Flights will be significantly (perhaps dramatically) reduced. The goal of the airlines will be to have every flight operate at 100% capacity. Because of this, many smaller airports may be forced to become general aviation facilities (meaning no commercial flights - this is already happening).

4. No, I'm not predicting pay toilets. Virtually every other service will carry a charge though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
If I were them I'd start charging for every carried on bag. Doing a lot of business travel I can tell you the most annoying and slow thing about boarding the plane is those people who insist on carrying on there entire wardrobe.

Perhaps if the airlines hadn't so careless for so many years with so many passengers' luggage, people wouldn't feel an almost paranoid need to keep their necessaries with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire airline industry is doomed. For years, they've been bleeding millions of dollars in losses. Then they cut something like meals to get back ahead. But then they start to lose money again. So they cut pillows and blankets. But then they start to lose money again. So they cut baggage. They've cut weight by getting rid of every spare bit of the plane they could.

Soon, there won't be anything left to cut.

The future of long distance travel is the past, an ultra-expensive thing that only the rich will be able to afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe new zeppelins are the answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The future of long distance travel is the past, an ultra-expensive thing that only the rich will be able to afford.

Given the environmental impacts of air travel, that's probably a good thing for all of us in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:

Even zeppelins use fuel to move.

What needs to be developed is hydrogen-powered turbofans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Macdonald
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been standard practice with budget airlines in the UK for some time. As my wife and I manage to work in different countries I fly back and forth to Italy at least once a month. Typically, the a ticket from Stansted to Parma costs me around £50. £10 for the ticket (sometimes they're free!), £25-30 airport fees and taxes (it varies with direction), £6 for my bag (I always take one as I'm always taking stuff for family), £3 for checking in at the airport a opposed to online (which is not possible if I need to check in luggage) and £2 'debit card fee'. If I really want to I can then pay another £5 for priority boarding so that I get first dibs at a seat. There are no seat allocations on Ryanair. And, of course if I want anything to eat I have to pay another £5-10 for a stale sandwich and warm beer. Although Ryanair is the most basic others are similar. And on the Stansted Parma route they are pretty reliable.

Yes it does lead to a melee on the plane as everyone scrabbles for seats and somewhere to put their luggage. I have been on flights where the lockers have filled up and hand baggage has had to be put in the hold. It does make travel cheap though. Scheduled flights with the 'old' carriers like BA cost 3-4 times as much at least. For someone traveling regularly it's a blessing. It almost costs me as much to take the train to the airport as the flight costs. While these changes may make flying less pleasant it should reduce the costs - If the airline doesn't have to pay the baggage handlers neither do you. Of course if you want better service you can always choose to fly with someone else.
meepleMost people seem to choose the cheap option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution: don't fly AA.

If enough folks shift their choice of carrier to another airlines because of this, AA will rescind their decision. If the majority of the public goes "eh, so what?" then we'll quickly see all the other airlines adopt the same baggage surcharge.

Vote with your pocketbooks, folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

Pipe dream...the only fule shortage is the one we have created by not going after all the other oil on this planet. The middle east is not the only place to get oil...for some reason we just refuse to get it elsewhere or are pushed around by those who say we can't go get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:

Pipe dream...the only fule shortage is the one we have created by not going after all the other oil on this planet.

Brilliant logic.

I don't have a cash shortage, I just need to keep looking in different pockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
TracerBullet wrote:

Pipe dream...the only fule shortage is the one we have created by not going after all the other oil on this planet.

Brilliant logic.

Works if you keep looking in other people's pockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, all I'm saying is that there are probably other nations with oil that won't try to screw us over as others (who shall remain nameless) are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
TracerBullet wrote:

Brilliant logic.

John, the fact is the US has significant oil reserves in Alaska, off the coast of California and in the Gulf of Mexico. But why drill there when you get it cheaper or with less litigational and political wrangling elsewhere? So Sean's point is valid. And by your analogy, you do need to look in other pockets, but for some inexplicable reason you don't want to touch the C-note you left in the pocket of your best suit that is hanging in the back of your closet, even though the bill collector is at your door.

Now, all that having been said, yes, the supply of oil is finite and demand is NOT going to go down any time soon. But should we let our economy collapse from high commodity prices until we can develop something clean, renewable and cheaper? And what might that be?

France gets 80% of its power from nuclear plants and a French company is developing a car that runs off of compressed air. Something to be said for that. What can be done to make public transit more viable? To encourage cycling or walking? To build our communities in ways that make shopping and services accesible without cars? All things we need to think about, but they are going to take time. How do you suggest we buy this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully support nuclear plants and would use public transit if it was available to me. The West Virginia pan handle is starting to turn into it's neigboring Northern Virginia very slowly, but mass transit has not even made it to Dulles yet. I can only assume that this means many decades before Berkely Co WV sees mass transit heading east.

Unfortunatly for me the better paying jobs in my profession are two counties over so biking or walking is out too or I would be all over that as well.

Carpooling is helping a little though.

I am really liking the zepplin idea though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we are talking about two different things....

A) I've been flying with only what would fit in a military style duffel for years. So basically, no change for me except now I have to fight people for room.

B) I swear that they have a thing against young people. I haven't boarded with the first group in years. Do they think that we won't complain or that no one will care?

1) I think the answer is that we need to build new cities that take energy/public transit into account. Then shift jobs there. Then renovate our existing cities.

2) I'm interested in this wave generated energy. Sounds like a plan to me, perhaps we can build new artificial reafs and then line them with devices. Sounds like a solution to me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Red is from a coal state, perhaps we should be using coal-fired steam-powered airships....

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Now that we are talking about two different things....

1) I think the answer is that we need to build new cities that take energy/public transit into account. Then shift jobs there. Then renovate our existing cities.

Dibbs on "Mayor For Life" on the first urban utopia!

Yeah the thread did get a little off topic...shake

LordJesse wrote:
Since Red is from a coal state, perhaps we should be using coal-fired steam-powered airships....

Jesse

Nuclear zepplins would be so much sweeter though...there has got to be some uranium in these mountains somewhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
ya know....Good discussion, however, I just want to point out that I posted this thread so that people wanting to fly to BGG con would be properly informed so that they can make the most economical decision, because fees like this are most likely to be overlooked. With that said, I think that if we want to discuss the political aspect of this, someone could start a thread in one of the other forums.

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's the discussion that keeps the thread active, and at the top of the list where folks will see it. Otherwise, it'd be dead and buried soon.

Lancer4321 wrote:
If enough folks shift their choice of carrier to another airlines because of this, AA will rescind their decision. If the majority of the public goes "eh, so what?" then we'll quickly see all the other airlines adopt the same baggage surcharge.

I expect the others will follow soon enough, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
maka wrote:

How 'bouts hydrogen-powered zeppelins! The best of both worlds...

OK, so there is some skill required to do this, but I'm sure modern technology will overcome these minor complications!

(and yes, I know that it actually wasn't the hydrogen that was the main culprit in the Hindenburg disaster, but who said anything about being fair or factual! This is the Intertubes after all!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:

And by your analogy, you do need to look in other pockets, but for some inexplicable reason you don't want to touch the C-note you left in the pocket of your best suit that is hanging in the back of your closet, even though the bill collector is at your door.

Inexplicable? Not if the C-Note is ALL THE MONEY I HAVE LEFT IN THE WORLD, FOREVER. Of course, like someone else said, sure. I can start going through other people's pockets. Or just occupying their coats and telling them they need liberated garments.

Quote:
All things we need to think about, but they are going to take time. How do you suggest we buy this time?

I think we agree about this. The problem is, the ANWAR flunkies don't want to buy time, they want another year where we don't have to worry about where oil's gonna come from. Thus, the pocket analogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I've been carrying-on as much as possible ever since 911. It's not too bad, since I tend to use aa.com all the time, so I usually board first.

I will say, that you need not bring anything to BGG.con 'cept deodorant and fresh undies. We provide the games, baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.