Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Hasson
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this great game again recently, I thought that an 8th epoch would be a nice addition to the game. So here is my suggestions for it:

Empires:

Communist Russia - 12 armies.
Nazi Germany - 14 armies.
Imperial Japan - 14 armies.
United States - 10
Communist China - 8
India - 10
Arabia - 8

Kingdom - Switzerland
Minor empire - Israel

Values of areas:
Middle east : 2
Northern Europe - 3
North America - 4
China - 4
India - 4
Australia - 2

I will try to playtest it next time. Any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No comments yet! Let us know how your playtest comes out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gordon
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. Nice idea.
Don't forget that the USA totally smashed Japan off the map historically and took a good share in eliminating Nazi Germany also. I think therefore they should have more armies, perhaps 20?
A better kingdom selection would be Cuba, due to the events there in the 60,s.
Good luck with it, I am curious to hear how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great idea! However, I thnik there is a problem: USA, Russia and Germany are already in Epoch VII. That means that a player in your Epoch VIII would fight another players Russia, Germany and USA from the previous epoch. While you could argue that Communist Russia and Nazi Germany are not the same states as the imperial Germany and Russia in Epoch VII, this argument can not be used for the USA. This is still the same 'Empire' in both Epochs.

Just some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I have had very similar thoughts, but my numbers were much higher.

As far as I remember

Empire 7 of Epoch VII: Imperial Japan 15: starts Honshu, navigaiton of Pacific
Empire 1 of Epoch VIII: Nazi Germany 17: starts Baltic Seaboard, navigation of Atlantic
Soviet Russia 12 starts North European Plain, navigation North Sea, Black Sea and Sea of Japan
Maoist China 13: [Maoist China included not only the 8 territories in "China" but also Manhchuria, as well having close influence over Korea and the Mekong]Starts Great Plain of China, navigation of South China Sea.
Bush's America 20: Starts Deep South, navigation of Pacific, Indian and Atlantic. May move to any Tigris territory direct.
Federal European Superstate 21: Starts where Dutch start. Navigation of North Sea, Eastern and Western Mediterranean and Black Sea
Islam Resurgent 25: Starts Palestine, no Navigation.
United Indiastan 12: Starts Western Deccan, navigation of Indian Ocean

Which goes slihgtly into the future. Besides the futuristic figures the numbers are based on territories occupied.

As Minor Empire I thought maybe Italy (5) or Australia (3), Australia again being futuruistic. Israel historically only occupied 1 territory (Palestine)- although you could go futuristic there too.

Kingdoms I hadn't got to but I don't think Switzerland is suitable, the territory it would most naturally appear in is Alps which is a barren land.

As for the problem of Russia, Germany, America and Japan (as a Minor Empire) already existing, I think Russia and Germany are ok as the new empires are completely new regimes which took power by force. I think the USA Empire should be removed from Epoch VII and the Minor Empire changed from Japan to something else (Austria-Hungary?). Replacement for USA is difficult, which is why I ended up putting Japan into Epoch VII and therefore having to make another empire for Epoch VIII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rus kosits
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like it, i would add a rule variation for the pacific ocean to add in the values of all the small islands there that were fought over.

Pacific ocean Value is 2 or 3 and has a maximum capacity of 6 navies. If you have 3 navies, you would get the normal "double" and if you eliminate all other nations there, you get the "triple".

I would suggest a minor empire in sub-Saharan Africa as well, making that region worth 3 and tossing in a kingdom card - all this and make the Sahara passable in some fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Potter
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL United Indiastan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone play tested the idea for 8th epoch above or the one in this file?
http://boardgamegeek.com/file/info/16268

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the 8th Epoch could represent the 21st Century...

Empires:

USA
Russia
China
Mercosur (South America, etc.)
India
European Union
Islamic Alliance

Kingdoms:

Australia
South Africa

Might be fun, and it uses the entire map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions-

I would love their to be more epochs in the later stages of the game, but unfortunately I think the game runs the right length as is. It always bugged me that the 7th epoch covers such a vast amount of time and falls short of current times. Maybe if we can bring our groups play time down we can get some experience with these variants. (the last game took 4.5 hours - fortunately it didn't feel like it at all)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bush's 'merca should be called Jesusland. Then add a kingdom of the United States of Canada on the west coast.

You could do a Islamists card that functions as a double-strength civil war. To be really tasteless, it can only attack territories with monuments, and destroys those monuments on a win or tie.

I like the Indiastan and Mercosur cards for ending empires, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a UN empire with the strength of 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
Bush's 'merca should be called Jesusland. Then add a kingdom of the United States of Canada on the west coast.

You could do a Islamists card that functions as a double-strength civil war. To be really tasteless, it can only attack territories with monuments, and destroys those monuments on a win or tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="dr.mrow"]
Quote:

Pure gibberish and you must be out of your mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.