Popular Tags: [View All]
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
With the birth of our first child, the number of games we play has taken a major decline.

I thought it would be cool to get a game that could be set up and left out to play as many turns as possible, whenever we could. The game may take days or even weeks.

It would be a definate bonus if it was the kind of game that had us thinking about our turns, the next move and future strategy to keep us interested and anticipating about being able to play while we are tied up at work or w/ baby duties.

My wife will play most anything. She enjoys resource based games, deduction and conflict as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a baby sling will greatly increase your gaming time. You just stand next to the table with the baby in the sling and it will sleep while you play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
With the birth of our first child, the number of games we play has taken a major decline.

Firstly congratulations!

I thought that this would happen after the birth of our first one, but to be honest after the shock of the first 2 months, it all got back to normal.
The nipper is in bed by 7pm which left us loads of gaming time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any number of 2P abstracts can be played a few turns at a time (in fact I think chess is improved when played in this manner), as long as you add a turn indicator to your table set up. To save table space, make up a DIY Hive with magnets, and put it on the fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle and Goa seem like fun two-players to leave set-up. Twilight Struggle isn't resource-based, but will certainly leave you room to think of next move and strategy. Goa would be easier to pick up where left off and fun to leave out and look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Duel of Ages once, but I think this game would fit your criteria. You can choose how many turns the game will go and how many characters you will play with.

We played with 10 people each having two characters and we played for a set amount of time instead of turns. It worked quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

A few things probably in your near future.

1. Yes, your life is forever changed and all that but...your life will get back to some of its normal patterns in just a few months when you get more comfortable with having a child.

2. Pre-crawling stage is actually a wonderful stage to do some gaming and such because the baby goes where you want it to go and most of the time wants to sleep (except from 2am to 6am).

3. It is actually the toddler stage that limits gaming because you do have to keep a close eye on them, they do roam where they want to (the kitty litter box, the stairs, the wood stove) and of course the game you set up.

4. At about three and four they start to become your gaming partners and can play independent of your constatnt and vigil eye. They know better then to touch the game without your OK. Once again you can host gaming groups and let the kids play on their own.

5. Your question: Goa, Samurai, Kreta, Hansa, Tikal all come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Using a baby sling will greatly increase your gaming time. You just stand next to the table with the baby in the sling and it will sleep while you play!

The bouncy seat http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-K2564-Rainforest-Bouncer/...

and the swing are your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All great ideas, we have a fair sized card table in the basement, I was even thinking about getting a campaign/ war game to set up and play a little at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, a block wargame like Hammer of the Scots or Crusader Rex seem like good candidates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Playing Tikal at SpielByWeb is almost better than on the table for this reason.

playing on SBW is great because of the lack of set up and clean up - which is time consuming.

The only downside is that if you're both playing from the same house on one computer, you need to log in, make your move, log out and so on and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to think of a game where one player need not be present for the resolution of the other's turn. In other words, where your wife can do all her moves and outcomes then switch while the other watches the Bean.

Nothing yet comes to mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis?

Torres?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! We have a 6 month old girl and a 7 year old boy, so I'm well aware of the time constraints.

Here are my suggestions for long play games:

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Go
Scrabble
Chess

Short play games:

Lost Cities
Odin's Ravens (Looks interesting, but I haven't played it yet)
Ligretto
Hey, That's My Fish!
Diamant (aka "Incan Gold")
Gin Rummy
Dominoes (Specifically the "Mexican Train" variant)
Crazy Eights (or UNO)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
I thought that this would happen after the birth of our first one, but to be honest after the shock of the first 2 months, it all got back to normal.
The nipper is in bed by 7pm which left us loads of gaming time.

I hate you, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
I thought it would be cool to get a game that could be set up and left out to play as many turns as possible, whenever we could. The game may take days or even weeks.

It would be a definate bonus if it was the kind of game that had us thinking about our turns, the next move and future strategy to keep us interested and anticipating about being able to play while we are tied up at work or w/ baby duties.

If your wife would tolerate it (my wife HATES this game), Dungeon Twister might be the right sort of game for this. It's the sort of game where you can study the board in your idle time and formulate a plan for your next turn, consider some likely scenarios for your opponent's turn that follows, and some options for your following turn. And oftentimes (namely any turn when there's no combat and no new-room-reveals), you don't even need to both be in the room at the same time (so one could take a turn while the other is asleep or at work, though it'd probably be a good idea to take some sort of notebook log of what you've done).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.