Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,
I've got two questions about the nearest enemy concept.

1) A unit that can shoot has the unmodified Close standing order and therefore is moving toward its nearest enemy. Does it shoot its nearest enemy for a moving unit with the close standing order (i.e. the enemy unit it's moving toward) or its nearest enemy for a shooting unit?

2) Lets consider a unit with the Range standing order that cannot shoot anyone because it's too far from every enemy unit. Does it move toward its nearest enemy for a moving unit with the close standing order or its nearest enemy for a shooting unit?

I think the answer to the latter question is quite clear, but the topic is closely related to the first one, so maybe I can have a comprehensive answer.

Thanks very much in advance. Bye bye!

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

Same answer to both questions.

1) As for a Shooting Unit.

2) Same as above.

Below are the complete rules for Nearest Enemy:

Nearest Enemy
Only enemies in a unit’s Front Arc can be the Nearest Enemy, unless there are no enemy units in the Front Arc. If two or more enemies are tied for Nearest Enemy status, the controller of the unit may choose which of those enemies to consider the nearest.

For a Moving Unit with the Close Standing Order
The Nearest Enemy is the enemy unit for which the following measurement is the shortest (unless the path between the Closing unit and the Nearest Enemy is blocked, then the enemy it would take fewer Turns to Engage becomes the Nearest Enemy):

From – the corner on the front of the Closing unit that is farthest from the enemy unit.
To – the corresponding corner of the Facing Side on the enemy unit.

For a Shooting Unit
The Nearest Enemy unit is the enemy unit that has the closest Center Point to the shooter’s Front Center Point. If an obstacle that prevents a Shooting Attack blocks the path between the shooter and the Nearest Enemy, then the next closest enemy unit becomes the Nearest Enemy unit. If, due to the path being blocked, it would take fewer turns to get in range of another enemy unit, then that enemy unit becomes the Nearest Enemy.

Hope that helps? You might want to download my Battleground: Fantasy Warfare Play Aids PDF to print and use as a reference during play or to study up on the most important rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked your question (the one on about face while engaged), you've asked my question.
Thanks Yoki. Bye!

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.