Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe I've ever put up a "recommend me a game" post, but, I'm looking outside my normal realm here.

I'm looking for a good, engaging party game - something like a Time's Up (i.e., interactive, not entirely luck, keeps people involved).

However, I'd like it to be something that I can make up myself.

So, for example, I can play Time's Up as Categories
I can play Werewolf w/o the cards - easy enough to do

Are there other "public domain" type games that work as party games, where individuals can basically "make up" the game's components?

Thanks!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat Poop You Cat
1000 Blank White Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once made a quick copy of Scattergories one year for Christmas. I made up a bunch of cards, and because I didn't have a dice with 20 sides, I just wrote a letter on 20 poker chips and placed them in a hat to get drawn out of. We played in groups of about 3 and everyone seemed to have a blast. Lots of player interaction and votes about whether an answer was acceptable or not. This is definitely not a luck game and it does keep people involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Balderdash - All you need is a good dictionary, some paper, and some writing utensils. The boxed game just takes the searching aspect out of the game and adds a board scoring track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any kind of dictionary game. You just need a dictionary. The player in turn selects a word at random and writes the meaning. The other players must come up with a meaning. The active player reads all the meaning and everybody votes for the one they believe to be the real one. You gain points by voting for the right one (ex: 5 points) and 1 point for every vote your answer receives.

Other game is Snorta! which can be played with traditional cards. Be sure everybody likes to laugh a lot before playing this one laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to contact one of the gaming groups in your area and see if they can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
With both Snorta and Wits & Wagers coming up, I fear we are treading into copyright issues here. I think what we need to focus on are games that started out as public domain and were later adapted into a published game.

Another suggestion along these lines...Liar's Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
With both Snorta and Wits & Wagers coming up, I fear we are treading into copyright issues here.

If you are not copying the original questions/ rules/ or playing materials then I don't think it's an issue. Though I have been contacted by the designer of one of the games you mentioned once before for suggesting people could make their own version. It just made me more determined not to buy an original copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably make your own version of Ca$h 'n Gun$, since you just need to make the ammo cards for everyone, the loot and damage counters. The cards are easy enough, and for the loot, you could just need a method of hiding the stash that you've already won or concealing the values. (I think most of the play money at any drugstore is one-sided, though a bunch of poker chips and crown royale bags works too)

For guns, you can just use your pointy-finger and thumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
With both Snorta and Wits & Wagers coming up, I fear we are treading into copyright issues here..

I've known Snorta since I was a kid (198X), just by the name "the animal game". Nothing new with Snorta (2004) but the animal figures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations.

Haggle actually seemed really good - but I wanted something that "everyone" could play - it appears I'd need to sit out and set up the ruleset.

But, I do like the overall concept of it.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try "In the Manner of the Adverb" it's a real hoot with a large group.

If you are not familiar with it here is how you play:

Depending on the size of the group send one or more people (the guessers) out of the room and out of hearing distance. It works best with two people as guessers.

The rest of the group decides on an adverb. An adverb is a word that modifies a verb, they mostly end with -ly, mostly. (some examples: frantically, morosely, nervously, glibly) Then they call in the guessers.

The guessers try to figure out what the adverb is by asking members of the group to do specific things in the manner of the adverb. Activities could be as simple as turn the light switch off and on ITMOTA. Or as complex as having having two people play act that they are old friends meeting each other after years of being apart.

Your imagination is the limit. Curiously, this game gets people, that would otherwise not participate in party games, very involved.

Do you want to add victory points? Go ahead, but the real fun is just playing and there isn't that much point in assigning points or time limits.

I once made up a bunch of cards with adverbs on them. There were easy ones, medium and difficult ones with points assigned 1,2 and 3. I had in mind a team game with a time limit. A team, on its turn could select from any pile they chose. A time limit of 10 minutes per card would be adhered to and when a team got to 10 or 12 total points the game would be over.

You could do something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. We'd been playing The Dictionary Game with an 1890s edition encyclopaedic dictionary for a decade before Balderdash came out. Ten years of bullshit and hilarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
ArtEmiSa64 wrote:
Blott wrote:
With both Snorta and Wits & Wagers coming up, I fear we are treading into copyright issues here..

I've known Snorta since I was a kid (198X), just by the name "the animal game". Nothing new with Snorta (2004) but the animal figures...

Ditto. I don't think we ever had a name for it though. As an added bonus you were supposed to make a certain "mime", mimicing each animal while making the sounds. And it was animals like anteater and elephant rather than farm animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.