Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I have decided to look into getting at least one Mutli-Player (real multi-player as in each person has control of their own units) war game.

A few requirements.

1. The game has to be in print or available for purchase in a reasonable manner on ebay (Not over $100).

2. I would love it if it could play (not teach and play) play, in two and half hours. Maximum three and half. That is based on three or four players.

3. Any historical time is good.

4. It would be better if the game was teachable to newbies in a reasonable amount of time (30 minutes) and not part of something like an ASL system with rules that look like a novel.

I certainly would choose(highly prefer) streamlined rules over and at the cost of, exact historical accuracy or precise unit representation.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackbeard
Conquest of Paradise
Shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich
Viktory II

(disclaimer: I haven't played these games yet, but have read about them in my BGG research about multi-player wargames)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings is a light block wargame that in its second edition is multiplayer out of the box.

Viktory II is great, but it's more like Risk done right. I love the modular board and exploration aspect. And it's pretty easy to explain and plays fast. It's not a wargame in the hex-counter sense of the word.

BTW, I'm enjoying the new Blackbeard a lot, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as a wargame...

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory: The Blocks of War is another block game for 2 - 6 players with generic WWII units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
Recently I have decided to look into getting at least one Mutli-Player (real multi-player as in each person has control of their own units) war game.

A few requirements.

1. The game has to be in print or available for purchase in a reasonable manner on ebay (Not over $100).

2. I would love it if it could play (not teach and play) play, in two and half hours. Maximum three and half. That is based on three or four players.

3. Any historical time is good.

4. It would be better if the game was teachable to newbies in a reasonable amount of time (30 minutes) and not part of something like an ASL system with rules that look like a novel.

I certainly would choose(highly prefer) streamlined rules over and at the cost of, exact historical accuracy or precise unit representation.

Thanks.

Answer: Friedrich
Next question.

...But seriously, this is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames that take 3 hours or less (Please add to the list!)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1540
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II Great game to get up and running FAST!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the new Red Russia, which takes 2-4 players and looks like it could possibly be done in 3-4 hours once players are familiar with the system.

Campaigns of King David is another recent one for 2-5 players, but I think the first game will run longer than that (unless you just decide to play for 3 hours as a warm-up and take it seriously the second time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try Memoir 44. Although it is not a heavy war game, I think it fits the bill for you.

1. In print and available almost everywhere.
2. Plays in less than an hour
3. WWII historical theme
4. Super Easy to teach

Rules are VERY streamlined, but there is enough variation between the sides, especially in the expansion packs.

It has official multi-player variants (2 teams), but I think that it has a large enough player base that there may be some un-official variants you could use.

I think that M44 is close to a war game than previously mentioned Shogun. Shogun is more of an "empire building" game that has some fighting in it (very little player v player fighting...you mostly fight NPC farmers).

Good luck!

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike

More of a civ game than a wargame, but some of my wargame buddies love it. Just leave one of your temples unprotected and you will see warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
Friedrich
Viktory II

(disclaimer: I haven't played these games yet, but have read about them in my BGG research about multi-player wargames)

I own Viktory II, and I think it's exactly what you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich
Viktory II

Both are excellent choices, although Viktory II fits more comfortably in your time window, takes less time to learn, and is probably easier to latch onto what you want to do, from the first playing.

Although after playing Viktory II a few times, I'd be nudging the new guys real hard towards Friedrich...

Another good candidate might be Imperial, not only because it has some good "crossover" potential, but because it's also a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pisciotta
United States
overland park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
After doing an almost identical search of my own I have had great success with Nexus Ops. The black light I bought to go with it clinched the deal for my guys. This one still gets played, even though my group has advanced to more complex games. It fits your criteria perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so far.

Mea Culpa. I should have mentioned what I own. I do have Nexus Ops, M44, Viktory II. All great games.

I guess I was looking to go to the next level above those style games. I love We The People, Twilight Struggle but they only play two. I am looking for that level of wargame in multi player fasion.

Someone mentioned Conquest of Paradise and that would fit the bill. That would be a great example of what style I am looking for in a multi player war game. So games in that Conquest of Pardise style.

Edit: Friedrich looks great as well. How long does a threee player game of Friedrich take from folk's experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the good recommendations above (Friedrich, Wizard Kings, Victory: The Blocks of War), if you like the CDG style of We the People and Twilight Struggle, I wonder if games like Wellington, Kutuzov, Pax Romana, Here I Stand (you can also get the 2 player Here I Stand: 2-Player Diplomacy Deck for it), or even The Napoleonic Wars would work. Of course they are longer than you are looking for.

There are a number of games for multi-player warfare...some do run longer than you want though Conquest of the Empire, Struggle of Empires, Shogun, Napoleon's Triumph, Diplomacy, A Game of Thrones (first edition),Twilight Imperium (Third Edition),StarCraft: The Board Game, WarCraft: The Board Game (and WarCraft: The Board Game Expansion Set), Axis & Allies (and its brethren Axis & Allies: Europe, Axis & Allies: Pacific), etc.

There are good out of print ones from the Gamemaster series (notably Ikusa, Fortress America, and the original Axis & Allies) and there are heavier games like World in Flames and such, but they also run way longer than you want.

I'll be curious to see what you land on. Whatever it is, may it be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded for Nexus Ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
Edit: Friedrich looks great as well. How long does a threee player game of Friedrich take from folk's experience?

A 3-player game of Friedrich probably isn't going to knock the game length down too much (about 3 hours, about the same with 4 players), as what usually determines the game length is a) how competent the Prussian player is, and b) what order the event cards come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Prestonisnormal wrote:

A 3-player game of Friedrich probably isn't going to knock the game length down too much (about 3 hours, about the same with 4 players), as what usually determines the game length is a) how competent the Prussian player is, and b) what order the event cards come out.

I'd agree with this. Our first two 3-player games clocked in at no more than 3 hours each. We play again this evening (another 3-player session)! Tonight - my turn to be Fred!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.