Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day All,

I am not ready at this time to write the full session report but since we played the first scenario last night I will at least put a taste out here. We did one trial game and quickly realized some tweeking would be required and fortunately we went in the right direction. We also decided that game 2 of the Campaign would be determined by the Heroes winning or losing.

The first game was Defend the Manor House with these modifications;
6 starting Heroes that started the game in their respective starting locations. This was possible because we used all 9 of the boards from the base game and G.H. We set the board up normally except we made 2 random rectangles out of the 4 remaining L shapes and put them on opposite sides of the main board. The Heroes were allowed to slide these in one direction or another to best line up buildings. Zombies Horde 21 was used and the Heroes had replenish. If the Heroes won they would get to keep what they have accumulated along with their wounds. Students could heal during the day between scenarios and items could be exchanged.

The starting Heroes were picked random and were Sam, Rachelle, Father Joe, Billy, Johnny and Kenny. Should a Hero get killed they are not available for the rest of the Campaign. If the Heroes won they would next play Zombie Apocalypse, Again with their remaining cards. If they lost they would play Escape in the Truck, with only normal starting cards. . . . .but still their wounds.

I was playing the Zombies and 3 others (Robert, Nancy and Rachael) were playing 2 Heroes each. The started normally with each hero doing a Search or two before heading for the Manor, or running from near by spawning pits. there was a good balance of good and bad things happening to both sides. I rolled well to get to spawn then roll a 1 for how many I got. The Heroes on the other hand found some good items early but either couldn't hit the ground with a bullet or they broke the weapons on 1st kill. By mid game I was feeling good after a nice spawn and having hurt Johnny put wound 2 on Sam, and 1 on Rachelle and the good Father. with 5 Zombies in the Manor and a steady stream marching up things were looking grim for the Heroes. with 3 turns left I had 7 in and 6 more capable of getting there in time. . . . . .when I had a problem, Rachelle blew away 1 Zombie that was in the door way, Sam knocked one of the Zombies head over the fence, and Jonny wasted 2 more with the Shot gun. No fear I still have a lot of Zombies close, who knows I could get a Shamble or two and possible kill me some Heroes. With 2 turns to go and my hoping for some Shamble I drew my cards. . . . .WHAT. . . . .What is this? I had not seen this card to date, how could this happen. . . . .ROTTEN BODIES. . . . . .WHAT???
Six of my finest Zombies fall to pieces 3 just out side the Manor and the Heroes will surely win now. Dang it, so close to denying them and then the worst of all struck me, I hadn't killed a single Hero. I tried to as I went on a rampage leaving the Manor to try and get one on the LAST turn. They may have won the game but I did inflict 1 more wound on Sam and Rachelle before the Sun came up.

I hope you find this Campaign idea intriguing and we look for ward to game 2. We planned a 4 scenario campign but all feel flexable as this was such fun.

Best to All, Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like an interesting idea, keeping their 'stuff'. Questions, though:

How will you keep the zombies competitive if the 'umans get to keep their remaining cards? Does the zombie player retain their zombies on the board, or zombies + starting amount, or something else?

How does this affect the normal rules of 'draw a new character when you die' if there are no chars left to draw from?

Do characters killed in a previous battle count towards the zombie kill limit? What happens if you get to a point where there are only three or less chars to start with?

It sounds cool and I wish you folks the best, please let us know how it turns out :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony La Morte
United States
Chippewa Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Stephen. This is just a concept and we are up to the task of playing it through, we believe that putting together scenarios that flow together well and deciding on alternate directions, should an unexpected result occur, is the important part. The fine tuning should not be difficult given the games ease of use and adjustability. Nothing has been carved in stone as we are not sure that last nights results will be consistant. Don't forget that YES the Heroes keep what they have if they win. . . . .but this INCLUDES thier wounds.

We are not totally sure yet, after all we did replay game 1, which worked out well in the end. The good thing is we all have the same goal, Campaign development, TESTING will be required. The much Larger Board plays more against the Heroes because to join together takes longer and it is a lot easier to get cut off. We think that Apocalypse will be really tough with so many buildings and ground to cover to prevent 6 destoyed buildings. We are also keeping the same Town set-up game to game for now.

If we balance this well, hopefully there will only be 7-8 for game 3, We Have to Go Back, and 4-5 Heroes left for Game 4, (Burn it to the Ground). we will see how it is going before we panic. We are even considering going to 5 games if that is where the games lead us. In this case we are thinking to insert Escape in the Truck.

I will be trying to take enough notes in the next game to do a full blow session report. Until then, long live the campaign.

Regards, Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! I'd love to see more of these campaigns, but they take a lot of playtesting. If you're interested, there's another one here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.