Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after looking through the vendors listed on the DIY wiki page, I still can't find what I'm looking for (at least not in reasonable quantities). I'm looking for colored wooden discs, the size that are used in Age of Steam or Liberte. Does anyone know of a source in the US that I can buy from? I know spielmateriel probably has what I'm looking for, but it's not worth the time and money for the amount I need to go with them. Am I going to be stuck going to the hardware store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any good links for colored discs, but natural ones can be gotten quite cheap at Caseywood.com . From there it should be super easy to dye them the colors you want with Rit dye. Depending on the quantities you are needing, the dye could be cheap or not. You might be able to work up dye with another method, I haven't delved into it.

*edit* - I don't know what size the discs are in Age of Steam, I've only played twice. The smallest Casey Wood has is ½inch. I recently ordered from them and was pleased with the speed and prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the link. I couldn't even find uncolored discs anywhere. If I can find some dye cheap, I might go this route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

xx
msg tools
I was looking for the same thing, and couldn't find them either. I don't really like the uncolored wood, because painting/dying is just another bunch of work that I don't want.

You might want to consider glass rocks/glass gems (google it). Basically, marbles with one side flat (I think they are used in some games-Maharaja, perhaps others?). They serve the same function, are cheap, and look good too. One disadvantage: they don't stack.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I considered that as well, but I really wanted something that was flat on both ends. I might still go that route, but I do already have spray paint, so it wouldn't be too much more effort, and no extra cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
What about mosaic glass tiles? I played a game once where they were used for currency, and it was pretty cool. They come in sizes from 1/2" to 1", I think, and in a variety of colors, shapes, and 'sharpness.' These are NOT stained glass, and are not the cermaic stuff in which the color doesn't go all the way through.

http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For dye, Koolaid works really well. People use it all the time on the craft forums my wife visits.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
For dye, Koolaid works really well. People use it all the time on the craft forums my wife visits.

Jesse

Really? It doesn't make stuff sticky? I thought it was sugar. Or is it just food coloring and artificial flavor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
LordJesse wrote:

Jesse

Really? It doesn't make stuff sticky? I thought it was sugar. Or is it just food coloring and artificial flavor?

They used to sell Kool-aid in small packets that required you to add sugar yourself, I'm not sure if they still do. They were just flavoring and color as you said. The tubs of Koolaid usually contain sugar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think they still have the big display of kool aid at the supermarket. I might give that a try, but I do still have spray paint, so it might not be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
I'm looking for colored wooden discs, the size that are used in Age of Steam or Liberte. Does anyone know of a source in the US that I can buy from?

Keith, check out this thread about our local game store in the Twin Cities. I bought a bunch of wooden pieces for my home-brewed copy of Dune from here.

I've only played Age of Steam once but I think some of the discs they have were that size. They don't sell anything online but I know somebody on this site paid another user to pick up a few pieces for him and mail them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,
Someone mentioned them to me in a geekmail. I'll add to the expanding list of options that have given.

Thanks again to everyone for all the information. I'll be sure to update the DIY page with this info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why round? I hate handling them...
I replace the stupid provost in Caylus Light with a die...
Square is so much better. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just got my order from Casey's Wood Supply, and everything is great. Shipped quickly, considering it was over a holiday weekend too. So, a thumbs up for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
LordJesse wrote:

Jesse

Additionally, they taste good if you're a bits nibbler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:

I got a chance to try this last night. Worked pretty well. I only had Tropical Punch and Orange on hand, but I'm planning to buy some green and purple this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll add a post in case anyone happens upon this thread. There is now a website that offers just what I was looking for called http://boardgamebits.com. They offer various painted wooden bits along with several other products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Great, thanks for the link. I couldn't even find uncolored discs anywhere. If I can find some dye cheap, I might go this route.

Rit fabric Dye can be found at local craft and fabric places for usually about $2 per package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.