Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my parents are coming to visit for memorial day weekend, and I am hoping to introduce them to some non-heavy (but still requires strategy) board games. They are big fans of card games (Mainly "oh hell" which is similar to spades, but can have more people, and every man for themself). I am planning to have them try out each of these 5 games over the long weekend.

Which order do you think is best?

Poll
Which Order Should I Introduce These Games To My Parents?
  First Second Third Fourth Fifth
Ra
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Settlers of Catan
Puerto Rico
      101 answers
Poll created by amishburrito
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am letting you, the BGG community, decide in which order my parents experience the awesomeness of board gaming. Please feel free to thumb the thread so more people see this and I get a lot of responses.

They are arriving in an hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Card game playes = Ticket to ride players

Ticket to ride is really a rummy with little plastic trains and a map of the US. I'm glad to see that it is the runaway leader for "first game to introduce."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that's too many new games in too short a time for non-gamers. I'd suggest you start with TTR or Carcassonne, then see if they want to play it again later in the weekend. Give them a few plays to get comfortable before dropping an entirely new game on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was planning on saying Carc, but I saw the card games and though TtR was the ideal gateway for them.

My votes fell within the majority on all 5.

TtT
Carc
Settlers
Ra
PR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised Ra is so low. It's simple and quick. I've never had a new player *not* like Ra. Ticket to Ride is much more hit and miss in my experience (I just have vanilla ticket to ride though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I'm really surprised Ra is so low. It's simple and quick. I've never had a new player *not* like Ra. Ticket to Ride is much more hit and miss in my experience (I just have vanilla ticket to ride though).

When my husband and I were new gamers, we played Ra with our newly-found game group (who were experienced players) and didn't like it at all. I have not played it since.

quardlepleen wrote:
I think that's too many new games in too short a time for non-gamers. I'd suggest you start with TTR or Carcassonne, then see if they want to play it again later in the weekend. Give them a few plays to get comfortable before dropping an entirely new game on them.

I agree 100% with this statement, but I would substitute Settlers for Carcassonne. I've had mixed success with introducing Carc to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

I think the most difficult thing for new players is figuring out the scoring of the tiles. I've found that player mats like these are very helpful for new players. I put Ra 3rd (after TtR and Carc) in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smack Daddy
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Dude,

Unless you want them to take their own lives, do NOT subject them to Ra or Puerto Rico.:shake:

Real people just will not take to these any time soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
I think the most difficult thing for new players is figuring out the scoring of the tiles. I've found that player mats like these are very helpful for new players. I put Ra 3rd (after TtR and Carc) in the poll.

This is great advice. At our gaming group, everyone has the BGG player aids ready to go so new players can learn more quickly/participate more easily.

I put Carc and PR in a tie for fifth. PR because I think it's too fiddly for a gateway, and Carc just because it's boring.

Kudos to Corey for putting the poll function to good use--a nice change!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is much simpler then Settlers or Carcassone for pete's sake. The rulebook is, admittedly, written completely ass-backwards. If you start by explaining what the different sets of tiles do and *then* explain how the auction mechanic works it's a really simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I was planning to do Ra first, but I took your (collective) advice, and introduced them to TtR first. They were a little hesitant, as they know some of the other games I play are complicated (Descent, TI, Heroscape). But, after they got started, they seemed to catch on pretty quick, and enjoyed it.

I think you may be right that I am overly ambitious to teach them 5 games in a weekend, so I think I will be dropping Puerto Rico (unless we end up with a lot of free time and they want to try another game). I am still going to try for 4 games though!

I also think I will try to let them play TtR again and then afterward go for another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So did you make it through all 4 (or 5) games? Did they have the stamina to try all the games you planned to show them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we actually ended up being more busy than I thought we would. I was showing them around the city a lot and going out to eat a lot as well.

So, the second night we decided to play Ra (I wen't against the voting, I know, but I had not played Ra before and I wanted to play it as well). I thought they would like it because the card games they play all the time are mainly trick taking bidding games, and Ra is a bidding game, right? They seemed to enjoy it, complaining a little at first when they didn't pay attention when I read the rules, so they didn't know that when you take a bid, you also take the sun tile on the board and use that next round. But after they got the hang of it (halfway through the 4th round) they were enjoying it, and seeing different strategies for when to call Ra and how to bid, etc. I really enjoyed it as well.

Both games ended up with
1st) My girlfriend
2nd) My dad
3rd) Me
4th) My mom

I believe this was because my dad's goal is to screw me over and beat me, thus hurting both of us, and letting my girlfriend slip through to the top unchalleneged. My mom always ends up in 1st or Last for some reason in most games. It was a lot of fun though trying to watch out for him, and he was having fun, because he enjoys screwing people over.

So, we only got to play two of the games because we were so busy, but they said they enjoyed both games, and enjoyed them equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.