Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
WW: Heroscape

Valhalla. The afterlife reserved for the greatest warriors. A life of fighting all day and feasting all night. Eternally. A paradise for those who could not get enough fighting and feasting in their meager time on Earth.

But for a few, the paradise has become onerous. You blanch at the rumor that some of your companions have actually become pacifists. It’s downright embarrassing. Worse yet, they are willing to do almost anything to escape the cycle of fighting and feasting, including eliminating the rest of the fighters. Permanently.

Game Start: June 9, 2008
Lynch Time: 4:00pm BGG
Night Orders Due: 11:00pm BGG

The Game
The players will be divided into two teams, Red and Blue, 7 per team, who will play a game of Heroscape against each other. The rules have been somewhat modified to allow the game to be played in this format in a reasonable amount of time. Each player will control a single card’s worth of Heroscape figures – either a Hero, or a squad. Your figures will be chosen in a draft from all available Heroscape figures to date. Note that familiarity with Heroscape is not required to play, but will certainly be helpful.

Each team’s goal is total elimination of the other team, or at least, enough elimination that the other team concedes. However, there is also a third, secret team of pacifists who are seeking to destroy the game itself. They must be caught and evicted from Valhalla in order to preserve this way of life for the rest of you. The pacifists only achieve victory by eliminating all other players. They have special means to help them do this.

This game has hidden rules. These rules have specific conditions which will allow the players to learn them.

The Battle
For the purposes of simplifying movement so that the game can be conducted in a reasonable timeframe, the Battle will be fought on the following map:

One major change is that figures no longer occupy individual spaces. Instead, figures are in an area. All Figures in the same area are considered to be within hand-to-hand distance of each other.

Movement:
Figures with movement of 5 or less will be able to move 1 area at a time, as long as their current area has no enemy figures. If enemies are present, These figures must declare a move toward a new area one turn, and they may then complete it the next turn, or declare movement to a different bordering area.
Figures with movement of 6 move 1 area per turn, regardless of enemies in their current area.
Figures with movement of 7 or greater may move through 1 area into a second if the first area has no enemy figures.

Range of Attacks
Figures with a range of 1 may melee anyone in their current area.
Figures with a range of 5 or less for special attacks may only attack Figures in their current area.
Figures with a range of 6 or 7 may attack anyone up to 1 area away.
Figures with a range of 8 or greater may attack anyone up to 2 areas away.

Special area attacks will be defined on a case by case basis prior to play (I’m thinking specifically of Dragon Breath attacks – Mimring, Braxas, and Nilfheim, but I’m sure there are others. If you want to play a Figure/squad like this, feel free to ask for a ruling).

Attacking
Attacking and defending will be handled as normal. Each team will have their own forum or chat room (whichever your team would prefer) in which they will talk strategy and allocate their 1, 2, and 3 activation markers by voting (you will need to vote for each of the 3 markers). Once activation markers are allocated, the players submit orders in modchat for their activations. Results of the orders are reported to the game thread. Players are not bound by strategy discussions in their team rooms, and may even attack members of their own team if they deem it advantageous to do so.

Important: I will be attempting to run a full turn in a single day, or two maximum. Please help me keep things moving by leaving orders for as many activations as you think you will be given. You will need to be able to check in several times per day to be able to play.

Note that the three middle areas have height modifiers – 2 are high and 1 is low terrain. These give +1 Attack dice to figures attacking a figure with lower elevation.

The outside middle areas also have glyphs on them. These glyphs will be revealed at the start of the game. A team who holds the area with no enemies in it will be considered to have claimed the glyph. If enemies subsequently enter the hex, then the first team will maintain control of the glyph until the figures who captured the glyph are all eliminated. At this point, the glyph becomes uncontrolled until only one team holds the area again.
ex: Red team sends Ninjas of the Northern Wind to capture the +1 Attack glyph. They arrive in the area on turn 1, activation 1, and take control of the glyph. Blue team moves Nilfheim to the area, but the Ninjas still maintain control for Red. Red team reinforces with Charos. Nilfheim then kills all 3 ninjas with his breath attack. Control of the glyph reverts to no one. Charos and Nilfheim will now have to slug it out to see who gets the glyph.

For the purposes of determining when a figure is leaving engagement, I will consider melee attacks to indicate engagement. If a figure has not made a melee attack, or been the target of a melee attack, then they are not engaged.

The Draft
This game will have a point limit of 800 points per team. This is roughly 115 points per player, although the teams may choose any combination of figures/squads that adds to their 800 point total.

Teams will draft cards, alternating between teams. The team that drafts first will play second – this will be determined randomly. Draft order within the team will be chosen randomly, and will be known ahead of time. Teams may draft any card of figures that is currently released, with the exception of the Flagbearers, who are just too much of a pain (plus I don’t have the dice, plus you probably don’t want them anyway).

Once a team has drafted a card, that figure/squad becomes unavailable to the other team. A team may draft more than one squad of common figures, as long as it is the first to draft those figures.

Note: Multiple common squads will be handled by having the players owning them rotate submitting orders for activation. When a figure is lost, whoever activated the squads last loses the figure. When a person loses all their figures, they die, just like everyone else.

I will post each draft to the thread as it happens, and you will receive a PM and a poke in modchat when it is your turn. I would appreciate people checking regularly on the first Day so we can keep this moving. I will open your team forums early so you can have some discussion before draft day.

The Timeline

At the beginning of the game, there will be no lynches. Lynch will begin when it is triggered by game events. During this time, a cycle will consist of:
Determine activations – 1 day, afternoon deadline
Submit and resolve orders – as quickly as possible, hopefully 1 day total.
WW night actions

Once lynch begins, there will be a day for deliberation and voting for lynch between resolution of the Heroscape turn and WW night actions.

Victory Conditions
Kill everyone who is not on your team, either on the battlefield or off.
If all pacifists are eliminated and one team is overwhelmingly stronger than the other, the weaker team may choose to concede.

Roles, Night Actions, and Lynch
Most of this is hidden information.
Roles are standard WW roles.
Nightkill will not be handled in the standard manner.
Lynch will be handled in the standard manner.
Roles will be revealed upon death, unless there is a passive priest in the game and he is killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: WW: Heroscape - Signup Now!
reserved for player list / draft choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, it's going to be hard to run this one with only 2 players. Or really, really easy, depending on your point of view. The problem is, the WW calculator requires the game to have 1/3 of a wolf. I guess slyde's legs start out as the WW and slowly eat the rest of him, or something like that.

Anyway, maybe someday I'll pull this out and dust it off. I think it would work with 3 teams (probably 5 each), as rubric mentioned. OTOH, maybe this is one boardgame that really doesn't need to be melded into a WW game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Rukasu
slyde

2 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/3151...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
i just finished playing the marvel heroscape version with my kid. he loves it!! we had been playing a simplified version of marvel heroes, but the herscape one is so much better for just rolling and carnage.

we played once with the girls against the boys (my wife and daughter vs. me and my son). we had the bad guys and won!! Mwuahahahah

then my kids played by themselves, it was sweet watching my son help my daughter figure out the number of dice to roll to attack him..

my son really digs building the board and stuff. ugh, now i have to go clean it up laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
*Sigh*
I was thinking through the ruleset, looking for holes, and found a big one. With the "good" teams locked in competition, they'll be using lynch to kill each other off. So whichever team has the first nightkill, they're going to lose all the lynches, and it's not going to be much of a Heroscape game.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwt2q wrote:
*Sigh*
I was thinking through the ruleset, looking for holes, and found a big one. With the "good" teams locked in competition, they'll be using lynch to kill each other off. So whichever team has the first nightkill, they're going to lose all the lynches, and it's not going to be much of a Heroscape game.

Suggestions?

I'll try to look it over and probably sign up. I get to new games late. You're the man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwt2q wrote:
*Sigh*

Suggestions?

I was working on a WW:Heroscape game a while back. I ran into the same problem. I think you either have to go with more teams (like 4 maybe), or just go with standard werewolf, where there are no publicly known teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
cool! this is one WW game in guaranteed to win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.