Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McKinney
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that after having to learn the rules for several new games in a row at a gaming sessions I think I've improved my ability to listen and to and retain details about what I've just heard. I think I'm also able to focus a bit better on a conversion instead of having my mind drift off and miss important details... not that still doesn't happen sometimes, just not as much.

Also I sometimes felt too mentally lazy to count small change given back to me when buying something or to take the time to figure out what a series of items will cost together when buying from a series of items from a fast food menu before ordering, but after a playing Power Grid a few times I think I've gotten over that as well.

Just a couple of small life things that have changed me for the better since I've been playing board games regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for starter, the brain is a muscle, if you don't use it you lose it. One thing it did for my wife, who will admit she's not a great "strategist", to be able to analyse faster and easier situations.

When in a game, you can do many moves, one is usually better than the others, it's finding that move through analysing each possible moves. 2 years ago, my wife couldn't see more than 1 or 2 moves possible, now she's seeing a lot more and is able to analyse whenever or not that move makes sense. I've also noticed on my kids that they tend to do the same, and it helps them to view other options.

That and like it has been mentionned, help with comprehension. I've also been more sensible on how to explain something to others, it's not only that you teach the rules, but that the other players do understand them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can think outside of the box in a game, you can think outside of the box in life. To that end, gaming helps me with deduction skills, mathematics, identifying causalities, and even abstract thought processes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
...identifying causalities...

Yes, a great skill to have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Verdigast
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
If you can think outside of the box in a game, you can think outside of the box in life. To that end, gaming helps me with deduction skills, mathematics, identifying causalities, and even abstract thought processes.

I find board gaming very helpful in identifying casualties. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it to be a rewarding, yet a niche hobby.

When I put out a board game, there will be a group that is open to give it a try. I like these people. But then there are people who have preconceptions and come with it either very negatively (OMG TAKES TOO LONG, OMG ITS TOO HARD, OMG LETS GO PLAY VIDEAR GAMES), or don't bother at all.

My experience has taught me that gateway games are essential. New players have a hard time in complex games and more so if you are a good player, to the point where they might not try it again.

I play with two types: one being playing games that many people can enjoy, simple gateway games and specific ones that I enjoy, which are generally more complex.

It doesn't have the advertisement or the flashiness of today's electronic mediums, but it brings people together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a general citizen's standpoint, I think I've learned some valuable lessons about the utility and limitations of force and diplomacy and that colors my political choices. I look for pragmatic realists to get my vote.

From a life-skills standpoint I think I'm more comfortable with numbers and figuring out procedures because of my long experience with game rules,

Mostly, though, I don't worry about developing skills from my gaming. I'm doing it for the enjoyment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract Thinking: I work as a designer, so being able to think outside the box helps heaps.

Faster Basic Computations: The ability to look at things like probablities and other simple computations and work them faster.

Critical Thinking: He who hesitates is lost. Making decisions and making the correct decisions are a big facet of life as well as gaming.

Fact/Information Retention: Ability to absorb information.

That's about all I can think of. Some of them I had before gaming, but I believe gaming has sharpened them, in some cases considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.