Subject: Height limit always 4 in Coricancha? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't seem to make much sense... especially with 2 players, the vast Coricancha board is horribly underpopulated with the height limit being 4. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the rules again. There's a small chart that shows you your height limits depending on the board and number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjfassio wrote:
Check the rules again. There's a small chart that shows you your height limits depending on the board and number of players.

Yes; the chart shows a height limit of 4 for 2, 3, and 4 players. I'm thinking this must be a misprint, because Coricancha (the gold/yellow map) is quite large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take a look at the "Note:" underneath that chart it tells you that Coricancha, Pisac, and Cucho are all multileveled buildings with the maximum height per row printed on the board. So even though the chart says 4, that only applies to the 4 innermost spaces. Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjfassio wrote:
So even though the chart says 4, that only applies to the 4 innermost spaces. Hope that helps

Unfortunately, it doesn't. With a limit of 4, the combined pieces still can't come close to covering the empty spots. Heck, even when you play with a height limit of 2, the map is still a bit big (i.e. neither player is likely to have pieces left over unless someone let themself get cut off).

I strongly suspect the height limit in this map is supposed to be the same as the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We've played the pyramid board many times with 2, 3, and 4 people. Sure, there is more space per person with less than 4 people. No, that doesn't seem broken, just different.

But consider this: if you really think they meant to make the maximum height equal to the number of players, consider what would be changed in the 3 player game: there would be 4 cubes removed from the playing area, reducing the total from 120 to only 116! Instead of 40 potential cubes per player, there would be, um, only 38.67... Not a significant difference, and not worth worrying about, I think you would agree...

Limiting the height to 2 for 2 players would have a little more impact, removing 20 out of the 120 cubes, reducing the potential cubes per player from 60 to 50.

So I don't see this as a big issue.

(Also, as additional evidence: I have seen several editions of Rumis from different publishers on different continents, and they seemed consistent about this map, so it seems unlikely to be a simple typographical error.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
Am I missing something?
You and everyone else on this thread apparently.

If you look at the key, you will see that the height level of 4 for 2 players is surrounded by a red box. That means that for 2 players you only use the area enclosed by red on the board (i.e. half of what would be available to 3 and 4 players). As per picture below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
sightreader wrote:
Am I missing something?
You and everyone else on this thread apparently.

If you look at the key, you will see that the height level of 4 for 2 players is surrounded by a red box.

Or, in my case anyway, we've played with other editions that don't have such an indication:
I own this set:

And have also played on this one:

So alas, it seems different editions have different conventions about that map. Interesting! Perhaps I'll try 2-player on the half-pyramid to see what it's like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Or, in my case anyway, we've played with other editions that don't have such an indication
Looks like they made a slight amendment with the Murmel edition. There are restrictions like this on several of the boards in Rumis and Rumis+.

I am pretty sure all the Murmel boards are in the image galleries for those who wish to compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:

If you look at the key, you will see that the height level of 4 for 2 players is surrounded by a red box.

Aha! That would make a lot more sense! There is such a box on one of the other maps, but not on this one. I think this would be a lot more fun with such a limitation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sightreader wrote:
It doesn't seem to make much sense... especially with 2 players, the vast Coricancha board is horribly underpopulated with the height limit being 4. Am I missing something?
Well, first the whole board of course doesn;t have a 4 height limit - many parts are 2 and 3 space height limits.

But my wife and I started playing this one with 1 color each, and immediately saw it wouldn;' work.

We added a 2nd color for each player (as mentioned in the rules), and it played just right - like it should have been designed that way for 2 players from the get-go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
We added a 2nd color for each player (as mentioned in the rules), and it played just right - like it should have been designed that way for 2 players from the get-go.
That would certainly work. We use the half board and it works brilliantly - we generally need a quick filler for early arrivals to the party.

Since then, I posted a guide that folks can paste onto their boards so they don't have to keep looking up height limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great-looking image that I downloaded last night (after playing for the 1st time) but didn't notice it was yours.
thumbsup

Why is the 2-player height restriction (3) in bright yellow highlight?

And just to confirm (since it seemed so counter-intuitive) :
On boards like Cucha (that explicitly show the height restrictions on the board), you're supposed to ignore those and play with the little table's limitation of 3 instead?!
That seems so odd.....
Does it make every level a 3 height (of course it wouldn't), or just the levels of more than 3? (That's not spelled out in the rules AFAIK)

Either way, I think it's hideous rules to have a printed board be contradicted by a little table in the rulebook.

Do you have the shortened (corrected 2 player) board image for Coricancha handy, that shows it's smaller playing area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
I suspect that is one of the ones where you only use part of the board for 2p.

reapersaurus wrote:
And just to confirm (since it seemed so counter-intuitive) :
On boards like Cucha (that explicitly show the height restrictions on the board), you're supposed to ignore those and play with the little table's limitation of 3 instead?!

No, not all of the restrictions...
reapersaurus wrote:
Does it make every level a 3 height (of course it wouldn't), or just the levels of more than 3? (That's not spelled out in the rules AFAIK)
Just the levels of more than 3.

reapersaurus wrote:
Either way, I think it's hideous rules to have a printed board be contradicted by a little table in the rulebook.
I agree. I am presuming I have later version, because the table is on the board in the version I have. That is altogether more satisfactory.

reapersaurus wrote:
Do you have the shortened (corrected 2 player) board image for Coricancha handy, that shows it's smaller playing area?
The image I posted further up the list is exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
It means your moves restricted to the yellow bordered areas.
reapersaurus wrote:
No, not at all. My little chart shows that you must take the lesser of the map's restrictions or my restrictions. So, if my thing says 3 and the map says 5, it's three. However, if the map says 1 and my guide says 3, it's 1!

reapersaurus wrote:
I do not. However, just slice it right down the line of symmetry in the middle, and that's your playing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
The image I posted further up the list is exactly that.
Aigh!
That's embarrassing- I knew I saw it somewhere.... it's further up on this same page is where I saw it! laugh
Thanks for the reminder, and the image post that makes it so clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.