Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
My wife found out today that there's an event happening during two of her classes tomorrow, so she'll have an hour to spend with one of her classes. She asked me for ideas for a game she could play, and I'm not sure...

My first thought was Werewolf, since she could write "villager" or "werewolf" on twenty-five slips of paper and run the game. I think the kids would really dig it, but there are some conservative parents that would plotz if their kids came home talking about werewolves and hanging villagers. Mafia wouldn't be a step in the right direction, either; a lateral move at best.

I've heard of a Battlestar Galactica retheme, and that might fly, somehow, since it's a TV show. Somehow being on TV grants the imprimatur of respectability. But something devoid of violence would be best.

Else, what other games can 25 kids play at once? I remember Thumbs Up/Seven Up or whatever it's called, but I feel like this group could come up with something more interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We rethemed Werewolf for our church group with Thief (werewolf), Villager (villager), Sheriff (defends villagers by protecting 1 each night), Judge (Seer - Good).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Boy Scouts we played a game a game called "Muster".

Every one has a naval rank from Admiral all they way down the Seaman's Recruit. (B&B: He said semen. He-H--he-he-he )

The Admiral starts out by saying "I called muster this morning and (rank) was absent!"
Picked Rank: "Me, sir?"
Admiral: "Yes, sir! You, sir!"
PR: "No, sir! Not I, sir!"
Adm: "Then who, sir!"
PR: "The (Another Rank), sir!:
Other Rank: "Me, sir!"
PR: "Yes, sir! You, sir!"

Etc. Etc.

Keep going until someone screws up/doesn't respond quickly enough/etc., they get demoted the lowest rank and everyone blow moves up a notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
We rethemed Werewolf for our church group with Thief (werewolf), Villager (villager), Sheriff (defends villagers by protecting 1 each night), Judge (Seer - Good).

That's a good re-theme. I'm going to make some cards and instructions; I think they'll dig it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
rri1 wrote:
In Boy Scouts we played a game a game called "Muster".

Every one has a naval rank from Admiral all they way down the Seaman's Recruit. (B&B: He said semen. He-H--he-he-he )

The Admiral starts out by saying "I called muster this morning and (rank) was absent!"
Picked Rank: "Me, sir?"
Admiral: "Yes, sir! You, sir!"
PR: "No, sir! Not I, sir!"
Adm: "Then who, sir!"
PR: "The (Another Rank), sir!:
Other Rank: "Me, sir!"
PR: "Yes, sir! You, sir!"

Etc. Etc.

Keep going until someone screws up/doesn't respond quickly enough/etc., they get demoted the lowest rank and everyone blow moves up a notch.

That totally sounds like a summer camp game! Ah! The memories of pancake breakfasts and canoe trips on the lake.

Sadly, my wife took one look at this and blanched. It looks too frenetic for a room full of seventh graders! One advantage of werewolf is that you spend half the time sitting quietly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuval Grinspun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is what comes to mind for me:

Haggle

Never actually tried it, so I'd be interested in hearing how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

What did the thieves do to people in the night, and what happened to the person who got the most votes during the day? How did it relate to them no longer being able to vote or discuss the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

What did the thieves do to people in the night, and what happened to the person who got the most votes during the day? How did it relate to them no longer being able to vote or discuss the game?

Thieves rob people, so they have to "leave" (the setting being they are all rich people on an island? perhaps). Then you vote to see who gets the most votes and that person is booted off. We didn't really have a good setting. Actually we based it off a game which we played at my cousin's house which we played as "Mafia". In our game we played as our cousins played, we pick someone to accuse during the day, and they give their defense, and then we vote "Yay" or "Nay" to get them off. We tried to avoid "killing" them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pips
United States
Lititz
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Area 51
My gaming group plays Werewolf like this ...

It's called Area 51. Two aliens (werewolves) have infiltrated the populace of Roswell. An FBI agent (seer) is trying to find out the identity of these aliens. The aliens abduct townsfolk during the night and take them to the mothership while the FBI agent tries to uncover the truth.

During the day, the Roswellians meet, discuss, make accusations, and then send someone off to Area 51 to be "examined." Yeah, these people are a suspicious bunch ... but they're right--they've been invaded by aliens and Area 51 is for real.

I've fleshed out other roles as well, but this should get you started.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schenetzke
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, I played Werewolf at school, but had no idea because it was re-themed. There were citizens (villagers), spies (wolves) and the CIA operative (seer) This was during the cold war, so the idea of Russian spies was very popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A Star Wars re-theme would probably go over pretty well. What age are we talkin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was at school I remember the teacher running a battleships game, where all the kids drew a 10X10 grid of squares and then we drew some ships on. We took it in turns to plot a square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holmes! wrote:
I've heard of a Battlestar Galactica retheme, and that might fly, somehow, since it's a TV show. Somehow being on TV grants the imprimatur of respectability. But something devoid of violence would be best.

There is a Catalan retheming about real estate speculation. The villagers are owners of small, old buildings in the city centre. Each "night", the speculators put presure on one of the owners, through bribes and legal tricks, managing to buy his or her property. Each "day", the small owners gather in the local assembly and decide to take legal action against one of the players. If he or she is a speculator, the Police finds proof of corrupt business and is imprisoned; if not, the hostility disgusts the inocent, making him leave the assembly.

I find it interesting for a classroom, but probably it covers a topic far more relevant in social terms in Spain than in the States...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nothing to do with Werewolf but a good game I play with my family or groups of friends and my own class once is 'Hello Harry' AKA 'One Spot'. It works best with between about 8 and 20.
You sit in a ring, and person A turns to the person on their left (person B)and says; 'Hello Harry[/b]'. They reply with 'Yes Harry'. Person A then asks; 'How's Harry?' meaning the next person on Bs left.
This carries on around the circle until someone makes a mistake (Usually by saying Hello back when first spoken to) Once you make a mistake you have a spot drawn on your face (lipstick or stickers work well) and you are now known as 'One Spot' instead of Harry. Gradually everyones name changes (One spot, two spot , three spot etc) and the trick is to keep track of who's who. Its a game that's never failed to amuse at any age and requires no equipment or set up.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.