Fluxx» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Fuhs
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We had time to kill last night. Fluxx was suggested. We have Ver 1 & Ver 3.something. We tend to play the newer. The players were Wife, son (home from college) and I. We managed 7 games (or rounds if you prefer) in 1 hour. In a uniquely different result, I somehow managed to win 5. This is rare (I believe the others focus on a “anyone but HIM” play style. Hey, just because I’m paranoid does NOT rule out the possibility that they ALL Out to get me! But I digress…) Wife & son won 1 each. I don't recall all winning goals, but 5 Keepers & “something, not something” (Brain, no TV; Peace, no War) won most games.

I refer to the word "combo" often in this session report. Sitting with a goal in play & 1/2 the needed keepers in play is a quick invite for someone to Steal Keeper / Trash Keeper or change goal. So you hope for a Play xxx (more than one) and keep the cards you need to win secret. This is what I mean by Combo. For example, Play 3 was in effect. I held Milk, Steal Keeper & Milk & Cookies. This would allow me to take Cookies from son, play the other 2 & win. Well, that WAS the idea. Read further!

Many people say this game is all luck & no strategy. I wish the naysayers could have watched us last night, they might have seen otherwise:

Ex. 1) I had 4 keepers (chocolate, cookies, peace, brain). My son dropped Keeper Limit 2. I threw away the possible chocy-milk combo and kept the other 2. Three turns later, I dropped Peace, no War to win.

Ex. 2) Son was closing in on 10 cards in handwin. To ensure we didn't tie or exceed him, he dropped hand limit 0, followed immediately by Simplify (which removed the limit - but only AFTER I threw away a winning combo play!). He didn't get the win, as my wife rotated hands on him.

Ex. 3) When faced (yet again) with a limited Keeper Limit (exact # escapes me), I used strategy to recall which keepers lead to the most goals & chose accordingly.

Ex. 4) Worst card to play: Play All. My son played it to set up a combo, but wife then dropped the goal she hoarded / I needed for a win.

I could mention other examples from last night’s session. So these were by no means limited / rare events.

CONCLUSION: So, yes, luck has a big role in the game. Lucky I drew this, lucky you played / didn’t play that. But there IS strategy - if you want to apply it. Some people just look at the game as an amusing diversion while waiting for something else to come along. Not every game has to involve saving the universe from evil…
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.