Subject: Scenario project (a suggestion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Sbragia
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if a sort of scenarios could be made by players for other players. The main idea is for historical scenarios.

How can we portrait (in a sort of abstraction for the structure of the game itself) some battles like Marengo,Eckmuhl, Friedland, New Orleans, Borodino, Salamanca and so on...?

Give your feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the thought might make sense at first blush, I really feel like creation of scenarios in this game wouldn't be very valuable.

Why? Mainly because this game is an abstract representation of the military struggles of the time foremost. Secondly, the units are at the wrong level of military organization for recreation of large scale battles, and you probably wouldn't have the right leaders in the decks. Thirdly, the game is finely balanced, and giving one side or another a positional advantage on the board might upset this balance. Also, many battles were asymmetric in force size and this is something you would be hard pressed to setup in this game given the way the rules work.

I think about the best you can do is to find topographical information on the area of a battlefield during one of the battles in question and try to fit terrain as best as possible to match this OR create your own terrain and then stick the units on the map as per usual rules, requiring the sides to take their historical side of the board.

On the other hand, you MIGHT be able to toy with the idea of setting up victory point locations on the map and have a nightfall victory calculated based on control of these specific locations, but even this I'm afraid would lead to game balance problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only a matter of time before someone uploads printable terrain tiles for this game, but like the previous poster I think scenarios would be fun but not work that tightly as a simulation. This game needs a warning label: "Resist your grognard impulses and enjoy the game!"

I still want Star Wars themed decks, however, and an Assault on Hoth scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.