United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you have never played Traders before, you may not want to read the following as it talks about something that we kind of "discovered" in our game tonight. I prefer to make these discoveries on my own so use your own discretion in reading on...

We've played Traders of Genoa a handful of times and this was our first game of Traders in four months. Four of us sat down to play and the game was going. Early in the game, I picked up a few privelege cards and made a decision early to really go for getting as many as I could. Since people couldn't really cash in Large orders early and didn't seem interested in Privelege cards, I was able to buy the action on the Villas for cheap and start stocking up. I also picked up two Privelege cards from my opponents in trades. If they offered me $25 for action on a city-space then I would ask for $5 and a Privelege card instead. Eventually, they figured me out and it became difficult to get the last few Privelege cards. For one, I paid $30 for action on a Villa space and for another I paid $50 for action on a useless space but I get a Privelege card as part of the trade. Throughout the game, I cashed in one small order and came very close but was never able to cash in my large order. Meanwhile, a few players cashed in 3 large orders and several small orders and picked up messages. I thought I was in trouble.

I was the starting player and thought I might be winning but wasn't in great position to score too many more points. It was two rounds from the end and I rolled a 4 and 5 so the round jumped. The next player rolled a 5 and 5 so it jumped again and we were in the last round. That turned out to be really good for me (I think) because others were not able to cash in orders that they had collected for the last few rounds. Although, I probably would have been able to cash in a large order with another round, I think others would have scored more than me on orders.

When the final round ended, I looked at my cards and saw that I had 12 of the 14 Privelege cards. WOW! That added $400 to my total and was enough to put me over the top. Final scores were...

Me: $740
Ma: $695
Mo: $495
D: $435

In all of our previous games of Traders, I have finished 3rd or 4th so this was a change of pace. I felt a bit less involved than other games because I was mostly just trying to get Privelege cards. Still, this felt like the most dynamic game of Traders we've ever played and the offers became much more creative and interesting this time around (it seems like we used to just trade money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gathering all the privilege cards is a basic strategy that can be easily defeated. By the time you had 6 cards, the other players should have been making you pay 60-80+ for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
Gathering all the privilege cards is a basic strategy that can be easily defeated. By the time you had 6 cards, the other players should have been making you pay 60-80+ for them.

Agreed. This kind of strategy will only work once. I mentioned after the game that nobody will ever be able to take the "get all the privelege cards" strategy again because everyone is aware now. Nobody realized quite how valuable it was (including me) until the game was over.

Also, I would bet that we pay less for action on city spaces than most others who play the game. I don't know what others typically pay because I've only ever played with the same game group, but it just feels like we aren't paying very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.