Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
We drew this for an encounter last night, and it just seemed overly mean.

The Sky Darkens in an encounter with four Razorwings, the leader being a fifth Razorwing, who is a master with 20 extra wounds, 4 extra speed, and the ability to spend 4 threat to give an attack Bleed. You could also spend 4 threat to reinforce with another Razorwing. (Incidentally, I have Beast at Gold level, but no Treachery.)

The forest we drew for it was Shadowy Copse, which isn't terrible hard to get out of, but it has "deep shadows," preventing anyone from drawing line of sight more than three spaces away.

Since Razorwings all have Soar, the way that I interpreted this was that none of the heroes could attack the Razorwings except with Guard actions since Soar adds 4 range to getting attacked. In theory, you could just block off the exits to the starting area, slip in with the fifth Razorwing (not the leader), and just whittle the heroes down. If the Razorwing gets killed, you can just spawn another one and repeat. Overall, it doesn't seem very sporting on the part of the Overlord, but it seems very simple (if lengthy) to get a total party kill.

So, what would you do as a Hero about this? Is there anything that a Hero could do? Most importantly, is this a legal strategy for the Overlord?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your party all melee? Ranged and magic characters should be able to attack as normal, they just add 4 more range (shouldn't be that hard using silver or gold dice). Even my melee characters usually have a backup ranged weapon for soaring monsters (they learned after getting hit pretty hard by soaring early). Even if they don't have any dice in the ranged trait a power potion should boost you some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
crobledo wrote:
Is your party all melee? Ranged and magic characters should be able to attack as normal, they just add 4 more range (shouldn't be that hard using silver or gold dice). Even my melee characters usually have a backup ranged weapon for soaring monsters (they learned after getting hit pretty hard by soaring early). Even if they don't have any dice in the ranged trait a power potion should boost you some.

We have two melee, one range, and one magic. It doesn't matter for the range and magic, tho', because even though they could ordinarily just add 4 to the range, the Deep Shadows of the forest prevent any line of sight traced further than 3 spaces, making Soaring monsters impossible to target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems legal to me. I've had encounters on the other end of the spectrum. I drew the old oaks or whatever, where trees are not passable. Then I drew the card that spawns two ogre bosses that seem pretty tough - except when they can't move anywhere on the map because of so many trees!

I would play it how you mentioned. It all balances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says 3 Spaces, not a range of 3. That means that any Razorwing within 3 spaces of a Hero is fair game regardless of if Soar makes them add extra range.

Same with the snow encounter board. You can only move as many spaces as your current movement, but if there are trees in the way, you can still use more movement than you have and fatigue for extra movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, does the card say 3 spaces, or 3 range? Interesting ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this has happened to us also. As long as the heroes are within 3 spaces of the monster figure, they have line of sight to it. Deep shadows is only 3 to LoS and not to range. They are very separate things.

We had this happen with the "Crack Shot" skill. You use it to check for LoS from any one space adjacent to your hero, but it still doesn't change the range needed to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So everybody and their mother-in-law already replied on this thread, therefore I'll just add this little tidbit. The attack rules are built as such:

Step 1: Declare Attack
Step 2: Confirm Line of Sight
Step 3: Count Range and Roll Attack
Step 4-6: ...

So it seems that Shadowy Copse applies only to Step 2, while Soar only affects Step 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Besides which, if you have GOLD Razorwings and the Heroes do not have a 'safety' skill yet (Telekinesis, Acrobat or to some extent Shadowsoul), it's really their own fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.