Popular Tags: [View All]
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Civ at the thrift store today. I'm checking it for completeness right now!

It is the 1st edition with the temple cover (pictured below on the right):

Being totally new to Civilization I was wondering if you wonderful folks could enlighten me as to the differences between the two versions. Am I better off trading this one and getting a hold of the second edition, or are they basically the same?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May have found the answer in an older thread--

Cavedog_pdx wrote:
LuZa (#40990),
The only real difference between the first and second Avalon Hill versions is the mapboard. The first edition mapboard was a one piece deal while the second edition mapboard was two pieces and made of sturdier material that's less prone to warping.

Any differences other than the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. I suppose they might have cleaned up the rules a little bit, but it was really just a reprinting with a new cover from all I've ever heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Madsen
Sweden
Bandhagen
n/a
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
LuZa (#40990),
The only real difference between the first and second Avalon Hill versions is the mapboard. The first edition mapboard was a one piece deal while the second edition mapboard was two pieces and made of sturdier material that's less prone to warping.

1st edition (single piece) on top.

/kgm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map style is not 100% way to determine the difference.

I have a first edition. I have also had two second editions, one of which appeared to be freshly broken out of shrink and had never been touched by human hands. All three had the single large folding map, not the separate panels.

I also notice zero difference between the rulebooks. Exact same layout, printing, and copyright date.

One thing I did notice, and this may not be 100% either, is that the cards in my first edition have consistent coloring on the backs. That is, the shading is pretty much identical for all of the goods. Both of my second editions had wildly varying shading on their card backs. Some were tan and others so dark, they were almost orange.

For what it's worth, the single board seems superior since it folds out totally flat, while the panel style has the "valleys" common to US made game boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd Edition copies say 1986 on the back of the rulebook cover. Also, every 2nd Edition copy I have ever seen had the two-piece board. So far as I know, everything else is the same. If your rulebook doesn't say '86 and is a single-piece board (and given the card colors don't match), I would think you probably have a 1st / 2nd home-modified 'Frankenstein' copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Impr3ssion wrote:
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Civ at the thrift store today. I'm checking it for completeness right now!

It is the 1st edition with the temple cover (pictured below on the right):

Being totally new to Civilization I was wondering if you wonderful folks could enlighten me as to the differences between the two versions. Am I better off trading this one and getting a hold of the second edition, or are they basically the same?

Thanks!

Apparently the first edition shipped with both of these box covers. I have one of each, both have rules copyright 1981 and single piece boards.

Quote:
The 2nd Edition copies say 1986 on the back of the rulebook cover. Also, every 2nd Edition copy I have ever seen had the two-piece board. So far as I know, everything else is the same. If your rulebook doesn't say '86 and is a single-piece board (and given the card colors don't match), I would think you probably have a 1st / 2nd home-modified 'Frankenstein' copy.

My copies were purchased new not used. they're definitely not home-modified mixtures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, like I mentioned, one of my copies was virtually untouched by human hands and it had the second edition box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
Apparently the first edition shipped with both of these box covers. I have one of each, both have rules copyright 1981 and single piece boards.

Interesting. I hadn't come across that before. Every 2nd Edition I've seen (2/86 on the rulebook) had the 'faces' cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I also notice zero difference between the rulebooks. Exact same layout, printing, and copyright date.

Are the copyright dates on the back of the rulebooks the same? The 2nd Edition definitely has 2/86 on the back. If not, perhaps the other two copies you have are from a later first-edition print run where they changed to the "faces" style box (as the other poster noted above)? That would explain the one-piece board, which I've always heard was first edition. I'm very curious about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the copies I had were 1st edition with the "faces" box. The boards were the single piece and the rulebooks were identical with copyright 1981.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now curious if there are any differences in the rules text between the first and second editions. With the newer copyright, I assume something has been modified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.