Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
The website should be up soon, Mike. We wanted to finish setting up with the printers so we can provide at least a good estimate of a release date before taking orders.

Thanks for the interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
bump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a rule of the universe that such things always take longer than one expects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good things are worth waiting for.

Gettings things right takes time.

WTID looks like it'll be worth the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Barry! It will be ready sooner rather than later to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on already! You're killing me with the dribble of pics (very nice components BTW). laugh I've dug out my books by Hastings, Vaux, Thompson, Clapp, and Woodward and am catching up on the conflict. I think the Argies could have really made a better show in this one if they had wanted to so it will be interesting to give it a try. A carrier vs. carrier(s) battle in the jet/missile age? Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep, I've just finished up Arthur Herman's "To the Rule the Waves." There's a single chapter on the Falklands at the end, which can only be seen as the last gasp for the Royal Navy as a world force... Not quite finished with Hastings' book, but been reading him concurrently with working on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whiting
United Kingdom
East Kilbride
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Looks quite a promising game this. Im on the look out for a new Solo wargame thats going to hold my interest over repeated playing and one that doesnt involve hundereds of counters on the map.
How much of the Land battle is going to be simulated in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, the land war is abstracted, as the game is more about the overall campaign on the world stage. Here are Dan's thoughts on the question excerpted from his designer's notes:

Dan Hodges wrote:
Then, there are the victory conditions. My original intention was to have the landings unopposed, but I realised early on that having a simple ground combat phase would add significantly to the challenges faced by players in planning their landing strategy. So that’s in there and it works; but apologies to any seasoned gamers who were hoping for an even deeper ground combat element. My regrets, also, to players who find the victory conditions placing them in the unenviable position of having to choose between a successful campaign and Karl Rove in the White House. Personally I feel your pain, but... war is hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

Scott,

The land combat phase is VERY VERY simple. Just about a
dozen counters each side, and a few d6 rolls.

As Mark's post says, I intitially thought of doing without land combat
at all, but then realised it was quite a nice way of introducing
variable Victory Conditions.

The core of WTID is the air/naval combat, plus the political managment;
this is deffinately NOT a land combat game.

Overall counter density is very low, and set up is simple. Like you, I
like a streamlined lay-out for my solo gaming.

Also, I think replay value is high. The Event Cards mean that no 2
games ever play the same. On my last 3 outings I had Hermes sunk by
the San Luis and had to abandon the whole operation; had the landings
delayed 3 days by the politcians in Whitehall and was forced to recall
the fleet; and finally secured a Historic Victory.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Air and Naval portions of the war offer the most "what-ifs" anyway IMO. I want UK Exocet missiles flying across the water and sending Venticinco deMayo to the bottom and/or the bombs on the Argie Skyhawks actually exploding. Argie subs infiltrating San Carlos water. Air strikes on Argie Rio Grande and Rio Gallegos airbases. If you want to do the land portion at a detailed tactical level pre-order LnL's Ring of Hills like I have.

Here's a few interesting "what-ifs" I found cruising around the net-

"In Argentina's favour, Peru immediately offered its support to the Argentine cause, with the Peruvian Air Force even offering to fly combat missions. This was politely declined by the Argentine government. As the war progressed, Peru and Venezuela sent critical aircraft spare parts to Argentina, urgently needed by the FAA."

Peruvian/Venezualan aircraft/pilot re-enforcements?

"Argentina's fleet of A-4 Skyhawk attack jets was in very poor condition. The arms embargo placed by the United States in 1976, due to the "Dirty War", had made most airframes unusable. The involvement of Israel in helping to return the A-4 to full operational status has been alleged, but has never been confirmed."

More A-4's available due to increased Israeli help? Valid possibility as the Israelis sold them Neshers (named Dagger by the Argies) and Israel was a big A-4 user with lots of parts and technicians.

"The FAA (Arg. AF) had only two tanker aircraft to serve the whole air force and navy, and its fighter-bomber Mirage IIIs and IAI Daggers were not equipped for aerial refueling."

A little more forethought by Argie air force- modify Mirages and Daggers for air refuel by their Israeli pals? Longer range- loiter/search time higher, long range attacks out into the Atlantic.

So guys, what's the status? Website? When can we order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Website's prety much done, just waiting for all the domain info and such to be finialised.

Alas, I'm out of town from the 4th-12th though, so best guess is the website will go live mid-July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnore

I just finished "Above all Courage" and Sandy Woodward's book. Give me the good news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Website is up and running, just waiting for the last details on ordering to come through, hopefully this weekend it'll go live...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hakstege
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And? Is the website up and available to order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka L Martinez Mezo
Spain
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just discovered this game, which seems a goo step to cover the much neglected Falklands/Malvinas conflic.

I have browsed the available images and found one of the event cards covering alleged French involvement on Exocet. While this has been rumored for years and was used by British tabloids to attack France, fact is France fully cooperated with the UK, even offering French Mirages for training and passing info on the Super Etendard and Exocet, while French technical personnel did not help Argentine technicians reading Exocet. SE integration was completed by in-house personnel and no new missles were delivered, although it was tried to get more missiles from other sources.

Peru did sent spare parts and sold Mirage 5P planes which started to arrive into Argentina in the last days of the conflict.

On the A-4, they were in poor condition due to lack of spares (not even ejection seat cartidges were delivered), although never heard of any Israeli involvement. After the war Argentina got a deal on a number of 2nd hand Forme Israeli Skyhawks to cover losses, although this was blocked by the US and in the end the very old Mirage IIICJ were bought, as well as spares and other equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka L Martinez Mezo
Spain
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only the FAA wasn`t in the best possible shape, the Argentine Navy was also suffering maintenance problems. The ex US FRAM DDs were in a very poor condition and suffered from very poor reliability. "25 de mayo" was also suffering machinery problems (well known to all, as she could not launch her Skyhawks fully laden to engage the task force early in the conflict, while her S-2E Trackers suffered engine trouble and usually at least one was u/s at all times (although looks like they enjoyed a good realibility from their electronic equipment). Even the two brand new Type 42 DDGs also had their share of problems, with one suffering extensive machinery problems after she was bombed by the Montoneros shortly after being built, damage not fully repaired and that forced the ship to be mothballed not long after the war to serve as spare source for her sistership.

The submarine force was also in a quite bad situation, with one of the Guppies retired since 1981 and the SANTA FE having her battery almost completely unserviceable, having long recharge times and extremely short endurance, not to mention suffering very poor electronics reliability.

Of the 209s, SALTA had an unlocated moise source which made her unusable and SAN LUIS had one U/S diesel generator, which caused longer battery recharge times. Her electronic equipment was also in need of overhaul and suffered several problems during the combat patrol, including a complete failure of her fire control computer.

A most interesting scenario would be to have working Argentine forces laughand, of course, trying to add these factors, whoch would put the British player in a quite tenuous positionkiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnoresnore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
devildevildevildevilgulp
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While the world waits, here's something to occupy y'all 'til WTID becomes pre-orderable . . .

. . . Prompted by the mention of his name, here's a wonderful book by an eyewitness to the Falklands landing and land campaign which provides a perspective on Max Hastings that's never to be forgotten:

"Don't Cry for Me, Sergeant-Major"

I have a small-size paperback (non-trade size) edition found at a secondhand bookstore.

It's worth hunting down for the description of Hastings slumbering in his berth in HMS Fearless alone, but there's also a great description of the landing of the Ghurka Battalion ("Where de Argies? Where de Argies?") and much more.

Definitely not a "global" perspective, but a great read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Also an interesting documentary online here I found: "Sea of Fire," http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=elcMaOmgjgE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good videos. Makes one wonder how the broken down, ragbag setup that Gorka describes above could have put some of the best ships with some of the best crews on the planet on the bottom. If their 500 and 1000 pounders had exploded consistently imagine the total of sunk and badly damaged Royal Navy losses. Might have put the campaign on ice until a major reenforcement or a negotiated settlement. My point is that the FAA did a pretty good job- the Skyhawks, Super E's, Daggers and Mirage III's and their pilots all were servicable enough to put the issue in doubt.

So what is the game/website status guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka L Martinez Mezo
Spain
Malaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just being a little nitpicking, the SuperE were COAN (COmando Aviacion Naval, many times wrongly written as CANA on English language sources!)

Both the FAA (Fuerza Aera Argentina) and the COAN operated the Skyhawk, although only the navy people was current in antiship missions and were armed with the right weaponry! The SuE were adquired as Skyhawk replacements.

The Mirage IIIEA was an interceptor and mostly used as a pure fighter and was used in the early stages of the conflict, they later were kept in the mainland just in case. In fact, there was at least one Vulcan air raid warning at Rio Gallegos! Daggers shouldered the most heavily and suffered accordingly.

Given the equipment being used, lack of RWR/ECM, decoys, etc, Argentine pilots performed excellently.

And I would also like to know what`s the game status!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glmm wrote:
Given the equipment being used, lack of RWR/ECM, decoys, etc, Argentine pilots performed excellently.

And I would also like to know what`s the game status!laugh

I think they did a great job with what they had as well. I'm sure the Royal Navy would agree!

Status on pre-order page guys??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.