Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What's in the box?
The game box is small and portable with a easy, straight-forward set of rules. There are 104 cards with bright colors, made from good quality paper stock. They are numbered from 1 to 104, with varying amount of skiers on each card. The skiers represent the amount of penalty points a player receives if he/she takes that card.

How do you play it?
Slide 5 is a reimplementation of 6 Nimmt! and Category 5. I have never played the other games, but the rules appear to be very similar. The goal is to have the least amount of penalty points at the end of the game after 5 rounds (or any predetermined number of rounds to shorten or lengthen the game). On any given turn, all players simultaneously lay down a card from their hand. They then put the cards into four rows of increasing numbers, with the lowest numerical value card going first. The player who's card causes any row to exceed 5 cards, essentially causing an avalanche, will have to take the pile and his card will now start that particular row. There are ways to strategically avoid causing an avalanche, such as playing a card lower than any numerical value in all the rows, which gives that player the right to choose a row to collect instead. That player will have to take some penalty points, but avoids major damage. Once again, his card will now begin the new row. The players continue until all cards in hand are gone, which ends the round. At this point, scores are recorded for each skier that was on his/her penalty cards and then the new round begins.

Is the game fun?
For my gaming group, Slide 5 is usually played as a filler, where we end the game after 3 rounds (about 30 minutes). In this manner, I believe Slide 5 fits the role perfectly. It scales relatively well, but I believe the sweet spot is between 6-8 players, where the game shines unbelievably. That's where the game will generate enough chaos, yet not completely dominated by luck. Slide 5 has some decisions to be made, but they are not brain-burning by any means. It is a quick paced card game that will leave everyone laughing during each turn. I don't believe I would bring the game out too often when there are less than 6 players and this hurts the overall score. However, Slide 5 is still good enough to receive a 7.5/10 and will always be a party favorite.

Are you too lazy to read the review?
Well, here are the pros and cons for Slide 5.
Pros: portable, inexpensive, easy to learn, up to 10 players, fun filler
Cons: not much strategy, too much luck at times, must use variants for under 6 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I got this on the cheap and it has sat on my shelf for months. Your review has pointed out that it's a good game for a lot of players, a situation I find myself in almost weekly. It will be making the trip next time.

How would you compare it to Coloretto when there are five players?

Thank you for taking the time.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
The only problem with this game is that the cards are printed to face one side only: our group has trouble telling whether the card is a 66 or a 99 without having to look very closely. The centre numerals should have been printed in duplicate, with one facing in each direction, as many games have done before. Otherwise, the game is a decent filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
    I got this on the cheap and it has sat on my shelf for months. Your review has pointed out that it's a good game for a lot of players, a situation I find myself in almost weekly. It will be making the trip next time.

I'm glad you'll give this game a try, it certainly deserve a place in everyone's collection imho. As a party game or a quick filler, it's one of the best. I truly hope your group enjoy it as much as mine.

Sagrilarus wrote:
    How would you compare it to Coloretto when there are five players?

For five players, I prefer Coloretto, as well as For Sale or Sieben Siegel.

That's simply because I believe Slide 5 becomes interesting at 6 players, best at 7-8 players, and a little chaotic/too lucky at 9-10 players (still fun if your group isn't too serious).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
profrat wrote:
The only problem with this game is that the cards are printed to face one side only: our group has trouble telling whether the card is a 66 or a 99 without having to look very closely. The centre numerals should have been printed in duplicate, with one facing in each direction, as many games have done before. Otherwise, the game is a decent filler.

I agree with that, but it doesn't bother us much. It would have been nice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.