Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've got a question on air points used for ground support. The specific example here is a combat in Port Morseby where the Japanese ground unit one-hex deployed from Lae (most of this detail is not particularly relevant). Both the Japanese and the Allies have air points remaining after the air combat, and they want to use them for ground support.

The question is: who, if anyone, takes AA fire from the base?

13.3.2.2 you can choose to strike the enemy base or TF. In this case, for the Allies, there is no enemy base (and no enemy TF, either), but surely you can support your own guys?

12.3.2.3, section 2), says if you strike the base, you weather the AA fire, and then you can target various ground targets or installations, or be held back for ground support, which happens at a later time.

It seems like the case of supporting your own land units in ground combat at a friendly base is not explicitly covered. I assume you don't have to take AA fire from your own base. Am I missing something, or is there an official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I too was confused about this. Some answers are given in reply to my 2008-02-05 post. Let me know if this kaes it clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it.

I would definitely say the rules are not totally clear on this point, though, even in 1.1. I think most people will intuitively play it correctly, but 12.3.2.3 does not seem to cover everything.

It does seem a little strange in some cases that the attacker has to get through a base's AA while a defender faces no AA. In an overland army attack into Rangoon, for example, that battle is presumably taking place a ways away from the actual base and its AA. In most cases (the island battles) though it does make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.