Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most children, my 8-year-old son is remarkably resilient. Try as I might to plant emotional seeds that will sprout into little trauma trees that can only be pruned with expensive therapy, Nat gamely shrugs it off.

With each misstep, however, my own little trauma garden keeps sprouting new and interesting shrubbery.

As neurosis collections go, I suppose mine is comparable to that of most concerned parents. But I can't help having a paranoid dad vision of a gloomy Tuesday in 2020 when Nat stops by on his way to the psychiatrist to say, "No, really, Mom seems to be doing just fine without you, and I could use fifty bucks, and by the way, I finally figured out the exact moment you ruined my childhood and turned me into a nutcase."

If and when that vision materializes, I will not be surprised if he pinpoints a lovely Monday in spring of 2008.

It's Board Game Night. Well, not officially. But Nat grabs a sticky pad and puts little notes to that effect on several doors and walls. In an atypical show of restraint, I decline to point out that "Borad" is a spelling atrocity.

We start happily enough with a short but amusing first-ever play of The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Despite my repeated nudging, Nat neglects to move his two-legged appetizers out of the main building fast enough, and most get eaten by the T-Rex.

In logical daddy fashion, I assume we will play again: The game is kind of fun, now we know how to play and, not insignificantly, it's kind of a pain to put away.

But Nat has other ideas and marches downstairs to pick a game. I wait and hope. Survive!, perhaps? Amazeing Labyrinth? Harry Potter & the Halls of Hogwarts? A surprise choice?

He returns with a big smile on his face and produces...Candyland.

My little black heart shrinks and darkens. Candyland? It's an okay first game for non-readers, and we've played it many times. But not for years. Why would we?

As my wife shoots dirty looks at me, I put on my snoot mask and go to work. "That game's not fun." "You don't do anything in that game." "You don't really want to play that." And finally: "That game is for...babies."

Nat weathers the snoot storm patiently. At first he simply says, "But I like it." Finally, he says, "I'm not a baby. And you always tell me that we don't have to like the same things."

What else can I do, now that he's deviously used my own words against me? I grit my teeth and play the least lively game of Candyland we've ever had.

Later, I tuck him in bed and sit with him until he falls asleep. I stare for a few moments, as is my habit, at his beautiful sleeping face. I walk into the living room and see the pile of games on the table. I feel my wife's laser beam eyes still burning my skull. And it hits me with the authority of a gravitational force: I'm a total jackass.

Mind you, I don't think I'm typically a jackass. My churlishness tends toward ridiculousness rather than ridicule. My incessant, off-key singing, for example, would force you to calculate the threshhold at which you consider putting out your own eardrums.

Which, I guess, brings me at last to the point of this stupid, pathetic, self-indulgent post. A point which I hope is unnecessary, because you're smarter than me and can just point and laugh at the idiot.

When your kid asks to play a game with you, that is a gift. Of all the things he could do, he chooses something that is one of your passions, even if the game itself is not one of your favorites. When you want to say no--that game's no good, that game's no fun, that game's for babies--that's your stupid pride talking, not your heart.

Just play. It's cheaper than therapy. And more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz
Australia
Maida Vale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the time for me to say
Iblankloveblankyou
and there is every chance you wife and son do as well

and yeah yeah we have never met
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's never a bad time to say those three words--much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh... my son and I argue about games all the time - he's a AmeriTrasher and I'm a Eurosnoot... it's like Tripp and Chapel being married. We played Stone Age for the first time yesterday and he was frustrated that he'd only lost by 2 points, until he realised I hadn't scored my bonus cards yet.

Just wait till you want to play Squad Leader and he tells you it's about time you learned ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, that will be a proud day--when my son wants to play a bigger wargame than I do. I'm getting weepy just thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
...When your kid asks to play a game with you, that is a gift...

You understand the situation just fine. There are times for game-snobbery, and the other times you just play.

(In the future, if you don't want to play Candyland, make sure that you don't own Candyland. That "game" is coming nowhere near my family!)

Wanker!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Paul, Candyland actually belongs to my son. I'm afraid that if I get rid of it, I'll have to explain why. And that conversation is not going to go well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh sounds like it's lesson learnt but have you taken the next hard step and discussed it with him and apologised even. That will save you a motza on therapy in the future IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
"You don't really want to play that."

Who do you think you are, Obi-wan? Your pathetic attempts at mind control are nothing compared to the power of "the Son".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have apologized a couple times. I didn't even need to point out that I'm a wanker--he made it quite clear he already knew that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathirtle wrote:
So who won?

I crushed him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
What's a wanker?

I'm sure the UK contingent should leave this one alone..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
What's a wanker?
Frank,

Allow me to be the first of many to answer that one for you with "look in a mirror, sunshine".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
What's a wanker?

Frank! A hardened Ameritrasher and nobody's ever called you a wanker???

I thought you guys loved the trash-talkin'

I'm a wanker, I'm a wanker,
and it does me good like it bloody well should,
I'm a wanker, I'm a wanker,
and I'm always pulling my hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Meh... my son and I argue about games all the time - he's a AmeriTrasher and I'm a Eurosnoot... it's like Tripp and Chapel being married.

That would be the best sitcom ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toasty wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
What's a wanker?

I'm sure the UK contingent should leave this one alone..

It is a very rude word that Americans think is mildly rude and keep trotting out, imagining that nobody minds. We do. It is very lower class, boorish, vulgar and stupid. Stop saying that word. It is too rude for gamers. Bastard, yes. W*nk*r, no. Stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
It is very lower class, boorish, vulgar and stupid.

..and thus, completely acceptable in Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Americans generally prefer "jerk" which has the same provenance. It's largely lost its original meaning here, and "suck" is quickly following suit.

The trick to Candyland is cheating. Once you've crushed your kid half a dozen times by cheating he'll never want to bring it out again.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gief Candyland. I just HAVE to play it now that everyone spouts crap about that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir are not worthy of my comment.

How very dare you!

*chuckle*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Well, Paul, Candyland actually belongs to my son. I'm afraid that if I get rid of it, I'll have to explain why. And that conversation is not going to go well.

"Son, sometimes board games go to sleep for a very long time...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what? There's a game farm?!

Oh man, why did I never hear about this!

*insert lamentations here*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Pathirtle wrote:
"We took your copy of Candyland to go live on a farm."

" Where it gets to play with alot of other Candylands and run free all day!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
It is a very rude word that Americans think is mildly rude and keep trotting out, imagining that nobody minds. We do. It is very lower class, boorish, vulgar and stupid. Stop saying that word. It is too rude for gamers. Bastard, yes. W*nk*r, no. Stop it.

But I had an English friend tell me that exact thing (that it's much ruder than we Americans think, and that my friends and I shouldn't say it casually in a gaming context) about the word "bastard". The mysteries of dialect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

But I had an English friend tell me that exact thing (that it's much ruder than we Americans think, and that my friends and I shouldn't say it casually in a gaming context) about the word "bastard". The mysteries of dialect.

Ah, the people that gave us the "bastard sword"....intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.