7 Posts

Galactic Emperor» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time - really 90 minutes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have this game on my wishlist. But I want to know something first before I will buy this game.

Twilight Imperium is a game that I would love but... I don't get to play with 6 people for a day on such a complex game.

Is it really true that this one can be played in 90 minutes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, I got the impression that it could be even shorter. I haven't actually played, so there's really no telling, but it definitely doesn't look like a game that's going to go over 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Adam said that 90 minutes was quite typical for a 3 or 4 player game. 5 or 6 players it can get up to around 120 minutes, but that's about it.

I suppose if you wanted a shorter game you could always take out a few vp chips / empire tokens, etc.

Arontje wrote:
Hi all,

I have this game on my wishlist. But I want to know something first before I will buy this game.

Twilight Imperium is a game that I would love but... I don't get to play with 6 people for a day on such a complex game.

Is it really true that this one can be played in 90 minutes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From this thread

danman wrote:
This business of medium and heavyweight board games giving time estimates that are 50 percent of reality irritates me. Yes, different types of players, or circumstances in a given game can have an impact, but come on. The practice is so widespread that the cynicism is justified.

That said, in these circumstances:

* everyone has played GE at least once before

* no analysis paralysis players

* no bathroom or beer run breaks

GE is about 90 minutes for 3 player, 120 for 6.

Call me a liar when you get the game, I'm standing by this.

Now, someone could easily post in that their 4 player games take 2 hours and they don't think they're playing slow. Fine, that's within the range, and there are "careful" players who aren't really AP types. But 3 hours? No way, no how.

adamw wrote:
We've run over 100 games in play testing, but keep in mind the rules changed through out testing. Also, nearly every game was with new players. The fastest was about 1 hour 10 minutes - 3 players. The slowest was about 2 hours 40 minutes - 6 players. It should honestly take around 90 minutes - and I believe it will readily play that fast with experienced players.

The game does move at the pace of the players. There is pondering in pulling roles. There are decisions to make for each role. Regent can take a bit of time. So it's not like you completely avoid AP. But there is very little down time I think since every player acts on every role.

Hope that helps! I'm anxious to hear the experience of others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is great. A game that looks so cool, can be played with up to 6 players and can be played under 3 hours for sure!!!

In my friendgroup (spelling?!) this is a game that can surely be played.

Games like Twilight Imperium is too long, too complex to be able to get played in my group.

Such games games (Twilight Imperium, Empire in Arms, Republic of Rome) only get to see the light once in 2 years or so.

But games like Shadows over Camelot or this new Galactic Emperor will get played much more.

Thanks for the info people.

BGG rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reliably informed (by no less a person than the designer!) that there should be a copy of this game at the UK Games Expo (on the JKLM stand) this w/end. Can't wait!

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:
In my friendgroup (spelling?!)

You can't spell that word incorrectly because you just invented it.

I like it and hope you don't mind if I start using it myself. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.