Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a sense of adventure, exploration and some roleplaying. I want to feel like I care about my character. I'm not so concerned about length of play. I don't want something super complex (Magic Realm) but don't mind if I need to study the rules a little. Replayability is HUGE for me, I want to be able to pull it out and play it again without getting tired of the game waiting for an expansion to keep it fresh. Solo play would be a bonus. Max players will be 4, usually 2, occasionally 3.

I'm trying to decide between the 2 games. Which of the 2 do you think are a better fit and why. Please limit the discussion between the 2 games. I appreciate recommendations but have narrowed it down between these 2.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and prefer Propecy. You can buy many different things with your experience and gold. You can buy powers or more health and stamina. Return of Heroes is ok, but I found it to be a lot of running around and not as much action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Peter's comments. There seems to be a bit more self-determination in Prophecy, while you're at the mercy of the chit pull in Return of the Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Mendel
United States
westminster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll third the recomendation. I found prophecy much more engaging. I fount RofTH a tad boring and as a friend put it "multi-player solitaire.

Gantrell
"KMG365"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have played both a couple of times and I also prefer Prophecy. The one reason I think that some people might prefer Return of the Heroes is that I think it has a bit more long-term planning. Prophecy is very opportunistic (especially with more players, as the opportunities that appear are often used up very quickly, by whoever is nearest). But that also makes Prophecy well balanced and quick playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for Return of the Heroes.
I'd rather play Talisman 4th edition than Prophecy.
But it depends on what you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently made a poll about Fantasy Adventure games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/313656

I like Return a lot but haven't played Prophecy. The modular board is a plus if you want replayability. Also, you'll like it if you like pick and deliver games. That's how the task/quest system works.

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give another nod to Prophecy for the same reasons. I play Prophecy to 2 artifacts (the shorter version), and it makes a nice 90-minute fantasy game that scratches that itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting feedback.

For all the Prophecy players, do you feel the game gets 'old' after some time? Is there a way to make it different each time you play? My understanding was with RotH, since it has a modular board, it's more apt to play differently. Of course rule variations on both games would change it up some as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like RotH may be a bit more 'solo' feeling when playing with others since everyone is sent on their own quest? Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john
Canada
flag msg tools
I've not played Prophecy, but have RotH and really like. It is a little more solo feeling when playing with more people as it is essentially a race. I played it more often solo and really found that a couple of the variants really improved the feel of the game. They added some much needed stress and planning to the game.

I just got Runebound, and having played 1 solo game and am in the middle of a 2 player game now, and find it to be much more engaging the Heroes. Coupled with all the expansion decks and big boxes, it's a game that it seems will never really be the same twice. It's MUCH longer than Heroes, but the time investment is more than worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at Runebound, Talisman and Prophecy alongside RotH as a sort of questing/adventure game. I know that RotH is more of a 'race game' and this aspect is more like multiplayer solitaire. What I didn't like about Runebound from what I read was that there is alot of downtime between player turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fantastic
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since he's too much of a gentleman to plug his own work, I'll give a big thumbs up to Jorge's variant rules for RotH. I think they very effectively address the biggest shortcomings of the game and take a game I already enjoy and make it considerably better.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/22424

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john
Canada
flag msg tools
derp wrote:
John,

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at Runebound, Talisman and Prophecy alongside RotH as a sort of questing/adventure game. I know that RotH is more of a 'race game' and this aspect is more like multiplayer solitaire. What I didn't like about Runebound from what I read was that there is alot of downtime between player turns.

I guess I can see the downtime aspect, especially if you are playing with more than 2 people. With 2 it is fine, and a big part of the waiting on the other person is reading and looking at the cards they draw. This may just be because right now they are all new and I want to take in as much as I can and will wear off though - I guess that's where the expansions come into play.

If you are planning to play with 3+ players more often, then I would RotH would be ideal. If it's 2 or solo more often, I would strongly recommend Runebound.

Either way though, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.