Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering as someone who'd like the Commonwealth forces.

Pretty much ditto on Hollow Legions...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Straight from Brian Youse:

Yes, the scoop is that FKaC will be reprinted. The plan is to marry it with parts from West of Alamein. The when is still iffy. Also, apparently the word is that there are still some uncollated copies of FKaC at MMP but are not readily available.

Hollow Legions is scheduled to be reprinted this year or early next year.

The Last Hurrah will be incorporated in the reprint of Doomed Battalions.

Code of Bushido and Gung Ho will be combined into a new module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh... when FKaC went out of print a year and a half ago, I remember Brian saying they just needed to collate some more and that it would be back in a month or two. Not exactly confidence inspiring...

Last I heard, FKaC is primarily waiting on the SK-style map bundle, but also on some countersheets. The map bundle has been "in proofing" for about a year or so and I haven't heard anything from MMP to imply that its release is imminent. It has been mentioned that MMP might print the maps for Doomed Battalions ahead of the rest of the bundle in order to get that module out sooner - this would seem to imply that DB is a priority over FKaC.

MMP appears to have a slightly better handle on their production timeline now than in years past. So maybe you'll see a FKaC reprint yet this year. But I'm more inclined to say it won't happen until 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Yes, the scoop is that FKaC will be reprinted. The plan is to marry it with parts from West of Alamein. The when is still iffy. Also, apparently the word is that there are still some uncollated copies of FKaC at MMP but are not readily available.

Not sure how old this quote is, but most of it is inaccurate according to current intel. The desert parts of West of Alamein are most definitely going to be incorporated into the next edition of Hollow Legions, not FKaC. And the statement about uncollated copies (a lack of boxes was what I remember, actually) was most likely in error, as Brian has since said that a reprint is waiting on a countersheet run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Brian Youse, 25-Feb-2008:

noticed you mention that Hollow Legions will probably be reprinted this year.

Probably. Someone is working on it as we speak.

Is that more like probably 10% or probably 90%;

Let's go 50%.

I don't see it on the preorder page?

No ASL product goes on the preorder page (any more) until it is entirely ready to ship to the printers. No more AOO for us. The people have voted via numerous complaints. We'll see how that works out with AP#4.

Non-ASL games take longer to accumulate preorders, so they'll still be put up in advance. I have to fix that faq...

I'd like to know whether I ought to hunt down a copy of HL now. I'd like to avoid a situation where HL is long out of print and only attainable on eBay for $300.

It will be reprinted eventually, so no need to pay $300 on ebay unless you want to play the Italians now.

Ideally, I'm looking to hear something akin to, "a Hollow Legions reprint is a certainty. If it doesn't go up for sale in 2008, then absolutely at the latest in early 2009."

Sorry, we don't do predictions when it comes to preorders. See: UF2000 or PB2000.

I also noticed that you mentioned that a West of Alamein reprint requires only a phonecall to the printer. However, my understanding of the grapevine is that WoA was not to be reprinted at all. That the OOB is in FKaC and that the chapter F rules and scenarios and overlays will be published with Hollow Legions in a new combination module. I'd appreciate any clarifying comments by you.

There is no WOA, WOA is dead. FKAC is the British OB (which can be reprinted via a phonecall - one I really need to make. maybe this week? Gotta count countersheets first...) and HL will be the Italian OB and the Chapter F stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the reasons I kind of soured on ASL for the short term , the unavailability of the modules I wanted

Luckily my Brother likes t play the Americans and My father likes the SS ( dont tell Scott)

my coworker likes the Brits however as do I, but I lucked out and got WOA off ebay for a song

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Robert, I know exactly what you mean. For a good long while, the main rulebook was not even available.

MMP inherited ASL from Avalon Hill including the old printing film. For example, for Code of Bushido, they will not reprint the old stuff. They will redo the countersheets and maps. This takes time.

On one hand, ASL is a very small niche market. A lot of what people do at MMP is volunteer work. Also, MMP as a commercial entity is undercapitalized. That is, they do not have cash to sink into stock that will slowly sell down over years.

People who have their ASL stuff are in good shape. They just pick up what content that comes out as it comes out. If you are new to ASL then there are problems. The starter kits go a long way to fixing the new player issues. However, for example, if you want full ASL with Brits or Japanese, then you're out of luck.

Right now, it's not too bad at all. There was a time that neither the rulebook nor Beyond Valor was available for a good long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks muchly for the replies!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac

Thats what I meant, for a while the RB wasnt even available , I know they are volunteers etc, but after dealing with GMT for example, I just dont have any sympathy for them, I know ASL is a niche, but valor of the guards hit 2500 preorders in 2 days! and it took 2-3 years to get put out

Like I said, Im a bit sour on ASL at the moment, and you can blame TDC and Blackbeard for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the licensing thru Hasbro had anything to do with the stalled production over the past few years. I thought they recently renewed the agreement, if so the timeline would suggest the ASL downtime for product would coincide with the possibility of MMP losing the license rights.

If you look at the past year, just the amount of people working on ASL alone has trippled and AP4 may be the proper gauge for the future of product. I remember earlier this year the Brian mentioned they would like 3 but expect 2 of the reprints done this year (DB, CoB, HL). He did hint a few weeks ago about something possibly being available by the end of the summer and DB was already accounted for in August. May not be an ASL product, but why hint if its any other type game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.