Popular Tags: [View All]
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it turns out that not only do I get to go to GenCon this year, but I can also get my badge covered if I agree to work in a booth in the marketplace for a couple hours each day. Cool.

surprise Ack - 1 hour after I agreed, I realized that I not only have to learn the game really well (I have played it and really enjoyed the experience) but I also have to try to sell it, and I do not have the booth babe look going for me nor am I willing to wear a chainmail bikini. I have also never done any sales type work.

So - I ask you my game geek friends, what draws you into a booth at a gaming convention? What could I say to interest you in a game? Personally I am attracted to shiny things and dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you know the game (umm, let me check that in the rules again) and look like you are having fun and enjoying the game. Be enthusiastic about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having gone to Gencon a few times, wandering the dealer room is one of the best parts.

The first thing that makes me check out a game is having seen it on the geek and having some interest in it. You can't do much about that other than try to develop some buzz here beforehand with some session reports or geeklist entries.

A big banner with either the companies name or the game name on it is helpful. The game name is probably better, as very few publishers actually have enough reputation to draw me in and they usually have big areas anyway.

I like to see the game set up so I can see the bits and the theme.

A friendly person behind the table helps. Though I will say that booth babes while fun to look at don't generally draw me into a booth.

As for demos, I generally like a little overview of the game first rather than an offer to demo it. I have been stuck playing some dogs. The offer of 'come back and demo it if you want' is nice, It lets someone uninterested escape, and gives you the option of coming back and playing.

Good luck! Hope to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
... Colorful display of product line

... a CLEAN and well kept booth. Messy, smelly, sticky or cluttered booths are a big turn off.

... Engaging, friendly boothmates who are pleasant but not pushy... and they *must* know what they're talking about if they're promoting a game or product

... Enough space to wander and look at items in the booth w/o feeling crunched or off-limited

... Enough space to see a game demo, browse rules, ask questions w/o feeling like you're hogging the whole booth

... Crass as it sounds, booth babes don't hurt... (sorry, I'm shallow) I fully admit to purchasing several hundred dollars worth of loot from booths over the last few years based on an attractive, flirty booth babe. I'm talking specifically to you, Hundred Wars, with your tight leather pants wearing blonde babe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important thing, is to have fun. Fun, like laughter, is contagious. Make sure to express it as much as you can. If a costumer can see/hear/feel you having fun, they will be curious, and want to share in the fun.

*Smelling and tasting fun should probably be avoided*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Free stuff.... but then that just draws people there to grab free stuff and move on. The other suggestions of people are great for drawing 'the right crowd', especially having fun at what they are doing will draw people in but more importantly get them to hang around long enough to learn about what you're selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Have a "bevy of booth babes" present with a H-U-G-E 'signage' stating that anyone purchasing a GAME, also gets their 'photo' with ONE of these! If they'd like MANY of that, then they've GOT to 'buy' plenty FOR such! At least have a "redhead", "brunette", and 'blonde' kinds, to appeal to their baser 'instincts' of these "dorks"!
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Armor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
Find a hot female friend to pose as your booth babe.

Unfortunately that is not an option since there is no more room in the car. I will have to cultivate some "hot" friends there I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
... Colorful display of product line

... a CLEAN and well kept booth. Messy, smelly, sticky or cluttered booths are a big turn off.

... Engaging, friendly boothmates who are pleasant but not pushy... and they *must* know what they're talking about if they're promoting a game or product.

Excellent advice. Thankfully 2 of the game designers will be there, I think that will be a good draw - buy a copy and have it autographed. I also think that they are planning on having demo's in the booth. That is how I got roped into this since my husband will be running much of their events and demos.

BTW for anyone who wants to drop by I will be working mostly lunchtime at Mindstorm Labs booth - makers of :gasp: an RPG called Alpha Omega.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer, ynnen and Jpwoo pretty much nailed it. Product knowledge and a big smile goes a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
degamer, ynnen and Jpwoo pretty much nailed it. Product knowledge and a big smile goes a long way.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I will make sure I know the game well enough to answer most questions and who I can direct them to if I don't. Invite them to watch the demos and come back later if they want to try. I think my smile should be okay as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.