United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire vs Struggle of Empires

The title rather says it all. Given the choice of buying either (disregarding any price differences) which one is better, and why?

I've played another Glenn Drover game, Age of Empires III, many times and enjoy it, and while the components are very nice I know well enough that components don't automatically equate to good gameplay; the SoE counters aren't as pretty as the CotE components, but if the game is better, then that's what matters. I've played many Martin Wallace games so know that his name is usually a good indication of whether I'll like it or not (although not always; I just didn't enjoy Brass - sorry Martin!).

How similar are the games? Particularly how similar are they when playing CotE under the new SoE-like rules? For example - if you bought CotE would there be any benefit from also owning SoE?

Thanks in advance.
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion has been around a while. Conquest comes with two versions, the classic and the "new" version, which (I guess) was based off of the rules from Struggle of Empires. It supposedly fixed some of the problems with the Struggle rules. I don't know because I haven't played or even seen Struggle, yet I've played Conquest many times and I love it! It gets a 10 from me, I could play it every week. Its new everytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that CotE 'fixed' issues in Struggle, so much as took what was great, and blended it into a new theme.

I would say that both are well worth owning, and somewhat different. My suggestion would be to play one and if you like it, get the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same question. I'm considering buying the Eagle Games CotE so that my group can play using the new SoE-like rules.

My group LOVES Railroad Tycoon/Rails of Europe, another Drover-ized Wallace game. We've never tried Age of Steam.

So assuming I can find and buy CotE easier and cheaper than SoE, will I be getting a similar but not as deep game but with prettier bits? Somewhat as RRT is to AoS?

(I also realize that pretty components don't always equal a great game, but they can make a great game even greater-er. Er.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.