6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: What to do with my amazing game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kim artus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Your thoughts? I am in New Zealand, a tiny place of 4 million. Not the place to make a million from games design anyway, but clean and green anyway.

When I was at university, and being mad on cricket, I developed a simple cricket board game. Unlike most cricket board games which have strange systems and cards and things you flick etc, mine revolved around other methods, thanks to my extensive wargaming past. Anyway the result was this.

We had 8 friends and we had a national team each. We spent two years playing test match series and one day matches (a series is a set of 3 tests between the same sides). The game proved to be enthralling, captivating, exciting, ultra realistic as far as scoring and averages. Could be played in one hour for a one day match or 5 hours for a test match (one day per hour, and you could easily play a day and then leave it for a week and then continue it). We kept a score records book that had things like centuries (100 runs scored) wickets taken, averages, catches...everything that a cricket statistician keeps, and the records paralleled real cricket. The games was so exciting to play and even just to watch that we would have a couple of guys playing while others were just there as spectators. Scoring was done identical to real cricket with a real scorebook. This game had everything going for it.

Well university came and went and the game was forgotten. Then, 10 years ago my brother, a teacher at a boarding school asked about it and we ressurected it and introduced it to the school boys. They loved it and ever since, there have been on and off crazes of it at the school. A kid might come up to my brother once day and tell him how his best batsman had performed the night before. Because most kids have their "own" team, they get very protective of them, and I have heard of the anguish felt when someones favourite batter went out cheap...to the extent that the kid grabbed his playing piece and destroyed it! The game seems to have that sort of hold over people.

back then, I thought, this game is so good we should market it. I took it to a games manufacurer who said it was to complicated! What an idiot! It is far simpler than many cricket games I have seen. But it is a game for cricket followers, and people who enjoy games, so it would be a travesty to simplify it or change it in any way. It works perfect as it is. High drama,realism and excitement throughout the game.

So the game is now 25 years old. I have looked at cricket games around the place over those years and have yet to see one that comes close to being as perfect as mine, but none do. I have in my hands what I think is the best cricket board game ever, and maybe one that could sustain the ravages of time and still be played in 20-30 years. But what to do with it! how to share it with the cricketing world (50 mil brits, 16 mil aussies, a billion indians etc) and make mega bucks out of it at the same time (a sad bi product of its success LOL)

How could I ensure it would reach a worthy big market

How could I use player names which are actually playing around the world, or is this a problem

I emailed most cricket organizations asking of their interest with no luck. Only one, Wisdens Cricket Almanack (records book, cricketers bible been around for over 100 years) responded. We could market the game as the Wizdens Cricket game for "a considerable amount of money" and royalties, and would have to show our marketing strategy. Ouch! that is big time and I am just a little kiwi!

So I have done nothing about it. The world still hasn't had the fortune to share in this amazing game and I am no richer LOL!

any thoughts on how to go about getting this game to the world?

By the way, I read another thread that mentioned the quantity of games someone should try producing when making a new game...a few hundred. I must admit I was really surprised. When you consider how many people are in the world, that isn't very many, and naively I thought you would produce some thousands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kim,

My advice is to find some other gamers (there are many BGG members in New Zealand) and see whether they are willing to try your prototype. Surely some BGG members from New Zealand like cricket! Try to get them to give you honest feedback about the game---what works well and what might need to be improved. Typically designers (especially new designers) "fall in love" with their games, so that the opportunities for additional improvements are lost.

If you find that the local gamers are also fond of your game, they will start to spread the word, and more people will want to try it. If a large enough "buzz" develops, someone from the group of publishers that tends to publish games of the "BGG type" may decide to pick it up.

All the other details can be addressed later. For example, if you can't get the rights to use real cricketers' names, you might have to go with made-up names (but the game play would be the same.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to consider doing a free online version, and selling advertising, rather than manufacturing and trying to sell the physical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Wizden is what you need. Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mitchell
South Africa
Springs
guateng
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kim,
Remember that it was a New Zealand company that produced the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy of films. So don't let your country's size count you out!

The reason that people often say produce "hundreds rather than thousands" is because they are encouraging you to try without the massive risk of the cost of producing thousands. When your first run has sold out,as it will (be positive!), you can make a second print run with larger volumes (which should give you cheaper per unit costs)!

Good luck and keep us posted. (It's also good for marketing!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.