Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been suckered into yet another late night homework project for my son. I'm trying to figure out how to take a 19mb quicktime movie and burn it to a DVD so it can be played on a standard DVD player. The platforms I have are

windows xp pro
Ubuntu 7.04 running on an old Ibook

I know a little about hwo to go in the opposite direction, but I'm stumped here. Thanks for any tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The format of DVD movies recognized by common DVD players is special. You need software that can take your quicktime formatted movie, convert it, and then correctly burn it to a DVD. Those are the software titles Patrick is talking about.

Having said that, most DVD players will nowadays recognize many video formats other than the DVD movie (I don't recall the name of that format), for example MPEG movies. Which ones your DVD player recognzies is in the manual. The list of formats recognized varies greatly from one model to another.

If you want to be absolutely sure that your movie will play on any DVD player, then you ought to record it as a DVD movie. Those software titles make it so very easy. You basically specify your quicktime movie and press the "make a DVD movie" button. Also, depending on the software you can add special effects such as titles.

[Edit] I can't speak for Ubuntu, but you have many choices for Windows. Windows Vista natively comes with all kinds of multimedia software including movie DVD making. Windows Movie Maker (for XP) is a movie editor but it won't allow you to create a movie DVD. My personal favourite is the Nero package (www.nero.com). I like it because it works well and it has everything a home user will ever want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I should have mentioned my preference for free or cheap solutions

I ended up sticking it on Youtube because the various freeware programs that I tried, which were basically shells for ffmpeg, mencoder and the like, all crapped out at one point or the other. But if you search youtube for

jamestown battle boxerboy

You can see the glorious and gory claymation results, as crafted by an 11-year-old :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.