Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone happened this issue?
I know that you are penalized with -1 Loyalty (if worse ship) or +1 Loyalty (if better ship).
I think it's better convert than refitting. If you want to refit you must spend 1 action in Port (rolling dice and waiting for a good result). By the other hand, if you choose to convert you gain a no-damage ship and you get booty and NP.
Am I missing anything?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Convert takes one extra action, while refitting is part of the in-port activities action. As long as there's not too much damage, it will take less time to refit. Now, if the ship is very damaged, then refitting will take more actions, so then it will be better to just spend 1 action to get a new ship...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree with Jorge. But in addiiton, you may not get a ship that you want from a merchantman. I played a solo game this weekend and Blackbeard found a sloop almost every single time. Refitting was the better option in every case because of this.

Because of this options, some choices may be no-brainers. But because we have the flexibility we can determine at the time the better course of action at that specific moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
Someone happened this issue?
I know that you are penalized with -1 Loyalty (if worse ship) or +1 Loyalty (if better ship).
I think it's better convert than refitting. If you want to refit you must spend 1 action in Port (rolling dice and waiting for a good result). By the other hand, if you choose to convert you gain a no-damage ship and you get booty and NP.
Am I missing anything?
Thanks.

Damage comes from many places: Port Attacks, Wear and Tear cards, etc. You dont always have the option of taking a new ship from a merchant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I played a solo game this weekend and Blackbeard found a sloop almost every single time.

This reminds me of a 'house rule' I adopted for the original AH version: After dealing with captured Merchants, I placed them in a pile, only putting them back into the Merchant pool once that has been exhausted. This increases the chances of better finds without terribly unbalancing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you go to a Pirate Port, you don't have to roll; all damage is fully repaired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.