Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, back on Dec. 31, 2007 wrote:
2008 is gonna be great! With this extra support, I will definitely be hiring some additional programming and design help. We'll be able to roll out some really great new features, along with a lot of enhancements and fixes that you guys have been suggesting forever.

We're about half-way through the year now, and I know I'd love to hear an update to these plans, especially the hiring of design and programming help. Did all the money go towards rpggeek instead, or are you still planning on following through with the plans for extra support too? Or did other things get in the way?

Have you considered doing a yearly "here's where the cash went" summary? That way we-who-donate would be more aware of things like what it costs for servers, how often they're needed to be replaced, etc. and it might encourage more donations? Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
We're about half-way through the year now, and I know I'd love to hear an update to these plans, especially the hiring of design and programming help.

Also, from a purely personal perspective, any news on 'resurrecting' the blogs? Or do I re-instate my blogger account and start cross-posting all my session reports again?

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:

Have you considered doing a yearly "here's where the cash went" summary?

Thanks for digging this up Diane. I remember reading this comment from Aldie and being excited about the possibilities. But of course not much has changed since then. I'm sure RPGeek will be very cool and there will be some spill over in features to BGG but it might be nice to get an update now and then on what features might be coming down the pike for BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Quote:
Did all the money go towards rpggeek instead

I doubt it, and I hope not. I didn't donate to rpggeek. I donated to boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
As fas as I'm concerned, if Aldie used the $30 I donated to buy a tasty icecream, he's worth it.

I'm sure he does his best. But we need a recent additions to GeekLists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
As fas as I'm concerned, if Aldie used the $30 I donated to buy a tasty icecream, he's worth it.

Amen!
I support the site for what it is today (and what that means to me), not on expectations of what it might be some day.
--mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I third that opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

No judgment is being passed here; I'm just asking for an update. The users of this site gave him a huge vote of confidence when they met his goal of new members in record time, and Aldie responded at the time with some plans, and I think it would be nice to hear how it's going.

P.S. If he spent it on ice cream, that's okay, but I'd like to know what flavor. I was not aware they had bacon flavored ice cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
P.S. If he spent it on ice cream, that's okay, but I'd like to know what flavor. I was not aware they had bacon flavored ice cream.

I know a place in Madrid where they serve olive oil flavored ice cream... (I love olive oil in my food and salad, but that ice cream is impossible to eat gulp )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
2008 is gonna be great! With this extra support, I will definitely be hiring some additional programming and design help. We'll be able to roll out some really great new features, along with a lot of enhancements and fixes that you guys have been suggesting forever.

We're about half-way through the year now, and I know I'd love to hear an update to these plans, especially the hiring of design and programming help.

Aldie can speak in more detail, but some of the stuff that's already happened in 2008:

"great new features": Guild Calendars and Polls
"enhancements": UTF-8 support, new forum system
"fixes": login problem fixes, hardware failures, lots of forum bugs

Plus, tons of backend infrastructure change that will be useful for rpggeek, but will also have positive BGG impact. For example, one of the changes from last year that was at some level "for rpggeek" was the GeekLists rehash that allows us to have not just games, but publishers and threads and other geeklists on geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm thrilled that Aldie is able to maintain the site as it is, and I contribute to it so that I can continue to receive what's already here. I've spent time at various places online, and this is by far the most complex site I've ever used on a regular basis. I've tried to explain to others what's available here, both in 1) amount of content and 2) the variety and form of content, and I don't even know where to begin. It's fast, efficient, and every so often, we get a new or improved feature. Works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
mkgray wrote:
pdclose wrote:

Aldie can speak in more detail, but some of the stuff that's already happened in 2008:

"great new features": Guild Calendars and Polls
"enhancements": UTF-8 support, new forum system
"fixes": login problem fixes, hardware failures, lots of forum bugs

Plus, tons of backend infrastructure change that will be useful for rpggeek, but will also have positive BGG impact. For example, one of the changes from last year that was at some level "for rpggeek" was the GeekLists rehash that allows us to have not just games, but publishers and threads and other geeklists on geeklists.

Thanks Matt - This is most of the newer stuff.
In addition - the forums were rewritten from scratch, and the collection system is undergoing a rewrite right now.

In addition we've hired a new programmer. He's been working for me for a few months now and is responsible for the guild calendars and their integration with Google. Also, he's responsible for the GeekPolls and the Number of Player recommendations. You may know him as Daniel Karp

Here's a summary of the new hardware we've purchased. In addition we've had an ever increasing amount of bandwidth overage. So that's another place where we've been spending more funds.

- File Server - now up to 3.5 TB of disk space
- Database Server - 32GB of memory - dual quad core - 15k SCSI
- 2 Application Servers - 16 GB of memory each
- KVM over IP
- Gigabit Managed Switch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The most exciting of these for me is seeing the recent progress on consistent correct handling of foreign text (Unicode/UTF-8). Yay!

Also looking forward to more comprehensive email notification (most especially geek list updates, but also comments on pictures, etc.), which seems to be another Thing Very Often Requested By Many People. Hopefully that is coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The most exciting of these for me is seeing the recent progress on consistent correct handling of foreign text (Unicode/UTF-8). Yay!

Still has some pages left to do, though. Here in the forums, my name displays OK, but on my profile page (amongst others) it's "Simon Lundström".

Edit: Just noticed a bigger issue: I can't do a proper search if the string contains å, ä or ö. If I search for "Håtunaleken" I get an empty page, saying "Search Terms: HÃ¥tunaleken" displaying nothing (of course). And if I search on parts of the name so I get the game, it shows up OK on the Recently viewed, but when I get back to the main page, The Recently Viewed shows "Htunaleken" (the å is missing). And it's been like this for some weeks now, I think.

(Edit: And on some other pages (not this one but for example when I was browsing BGG suggestions) it displays as "HÃ¥tunaleken". Weird.)

Frankly, I think the site as is probably demands enormous amounts of work just maintaining status quo (fixing bugs like this). So I'm happy.

As long as we get some Recent Additions to GeekLists

Point: I won't argue against those who think that the funds mainly should go to BGG and not RPGG, because I don't think they're wrong. I just wanted to point out that at least I was more along the lines of "Hey what a great site this is! Here, take some $$, you deserve it!" giving my money to Aldie – and if he uses it for BGG, RPGG or icecream is completely up to him. Although he's more likely to get more money from me if he at least uses a good portion of it on BGG/RPGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
russ wrote:

Still has some pages left to do, though. Here in the forums, my name displays OK, but on my profile page (amongst others) it's "Simon Lundström".

Edit: Just noticed a bigger issue: I can't do a proper search if the string contains å, ä or ö. If I search for "Håtunaleken" I get an empty page, saying "Search Terms: HÃ¥tunaleken" displaying nothing (of course). And if I search on parts of the name so I get the game, it shows up OK on the Recently viewed, but when I get back to the main page, The Recently Viewed shows "Htunaleken" (the å is missing). And it's been like this for some weeks now, I think.

Yeah, I still see bugs like this too. (E.g. my front page Recently Viewed shows Z�RTZ and Ta Y� right now.) And foreign letters in BGG Wiki pages are still broken. (E.g. see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/94 where they are displayed as HTML entities instead of the actual letters.)

That's why I only said "recent progress". Still it is exciting to see the issue finally being addressed (after requesting it for literally years)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

No judgment is being passed here; I'm just asking for an update. The users of this site gave him a huge vote of confidence when they met his goal of new members in record time, and Aldie responded at the time with some plans, and I think it would be nice to hear how it's going.

Mmmmmmmm http://www.slashfood.com/2006/08/06/bacon-ice-cream-is-an-ud... And they have Bacon flavored cereal!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Yeah, double yay from me on this one, though there still appear to be some problems in some of the forums and game listings. I assume this is a "work in progress" and not finished yet? Are bug reports still being requested for this, or is Aldie pretty much aware the problems and he'll work it out in time?

Thanks, Aldie and Matt, for the nice, comprehensive list! It's really, really nice to see it all in one place -- then we can appreciate the scope of the work, rather than forget what's been done already because that was a couple months ago and we have really short memories, or have just gotten used to the new feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
When do we get the hardwire directly to my brain installed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I thought it already was, and that was the reason we have all these outages -- there's nothing there to connect to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I thought it already was, and that was the reason we have all these outages -- there's nothing there to connect to!

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh, SNAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I was not aware they had bacon flavored ice cream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How's about a BGG_ChangeLog wiki? Just keep pointing that out to people, and pad it up a bit. Although, with all the changes and fixes, updating the wiki would probably take up almost as much time.

So, I don't say it enough, but thanks for the ton of effort you put into the site. I only have to manage about a dozen or so workstations here, and that's peanuts in comparison to the setup you have, and I still have to work to keep everything running smoothly. And nobody ever sees the backend stuff, so they don't know how much work you're really doing. As I've said before, it's the only site I feel obliged to donate my time and money to, and I will continue to do so. I'm still going to ask for things though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.