Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Marshall
United States
Peachtree Corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played it with more than 5 yet? I have an party planned for 6/6, and my friends are bugging me to play this. The problem is that I'll have between and 7-9 guys there... well probably not too much of a problem since the rules make a suggestion for playing with 6-10 players (2.7).

Before I dive in, I'd love to know if anyone can share their personal experience (good or bad) running a larger game like this. (Additional suggestions beyond the note in 2.7 would also be welcome!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem would be in the number of anti-pirate actions that could possibly occur each player-turn. We neve experimented with this # of players, but i would think some sort of artificial limit on anti=pirate actions per P{layer Turn would have to be in effect . . . .

Then again, the fact that a player would be educing the cards in his hand with all the AP's might be a self-limiter.

Would be interested to see how your game went . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to watch out for - I just played a 4-player "learning game" over the weekend (I was teaching 3 others the rules, and only one of the three was any sort of a "wargammer" - the other two were into lighter boardgames such as Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, etc.)

So as not to overwhelm them, we only used one pirate at a time. Which I imagine would be the case with a 6+ player game, unless you're photocopying ship displays or something.

The game was a qualified success... One of the "lighter" gamers got hit pretty hard with some bad luck (got wiped out by a hurricane in Tortuga, after getting stuck in port by a D&R card play, for example), and it kind of gave her a bad taste for the game.

We decided one of the problems was not playing with two pirate displays - so if bad luck happened to one of your pirates, you've still got the other one to play.

Plus, with that many players, there's not going to be time to get much done! Won't the cards fly pretty quick?

So my tentative recommendations: photocopy the pirate displays so everyone has two. And play the longer game (twice thru the deck.)

Please let us know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"One of the "lighter" gamers got hit pretty hard with some bad luck (got wiped out by a hurricane in Tortuga, after getting stuck in port by a D&R card play, for example), and it kind of gave her a bad taste for the game."

Hmmmmm . . . bad things happen, even to bad people. It helps to explain, when starting a game with newbies, that much of the game is reacting to Bad Things, surviving bad times, etc etc.

"We decided one of the problems was not playing with two pirate displays - so if bad luck happened to one of your pirates, you've still got the other one to play."

True . . .which is why I always recommend players start with 2 pirates . . . and, remember, it's not that hard to take another one for safe keeping.

"Plus, with that many players, there's not going to be time to get much done! Won't the cards fly pretty quick? "

Not THAT quickly. It doesn't take much for a pirate to amass Notoriety. . . aggressive play in THE BEARD can be amply rewarded.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing we might consider doing is that, if you are playing with more than 5 players, each player gets only 3 cards, not 4.

We shall ruminate upon it . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.