Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading the 2nd and 3rd edition rules posted here, and I have two questions:

1) Cavalry moves 2 towns. Does one have to reveal the moving units, like in Bonaparte at Marengo, to demonstrate they are cavalry? I know you don't need to if you trust yourselves, but just wanted to know what is the rule, for those who play this game in tournaments, for example. Knowing the CV of the units moving will diminish the fog of war.

2) In 3-player games, do blocks (and players) face at 120 degrees from each other? If the Allies cannot communicate during day time (this is written in the rules), why should they see each other's units? Again, I know you can choose what you wish, but I like to play the way the designer expected the game to be played...

Thanks,
Miguel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Most Columbia Games (nee Gamma Two Games) come with an unwritten rule: if you can't trust your opponent to play by the rules, given the hidden information elements, then you should get a new opponent.

That is to say, I don't think there is a stipulation that requires disclosure of cavalry to move two towns. Of course, since infantry can force march two towns, if your opponent is making straggler rolls for some blocks, that tells you something.

2) I don't recall the rules saying anything, but I think the allies should not be allowed to see each others' blocks either, nor discuss their setups. The less communication allowed, the better, in my opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott,

I had not thought about forced marches, and yes, if you had to show the blocks that force march too the fog of war would disappear! So from the number of forced march rolls you just get an idea of the cavalry-to-others ratio, good.

sdiberar wrote:
I don't recall the rules saying anything, but I think the allies should not be allowed to see each others' blocks either, nor discuss their setups. The less communication allowed, the better, in my opinion!
OK, so 120 degrees, that seems right to me. Looking forward trying a 3-player game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PURSUIT FIRE in 2nd Edition
A complementary question, concerning PURSUIT FIRE in 2nd Ed: are all units involved in the pursuit revealed, like in battle? Or do you just ask if there is retreating cavalry and then say "OK, I throw X dice"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Thanks Scott,

I had not thought about forced marches, and yes, if you had to show the blocks that force march too the fog of war would disappear! So from the number of forced march rolls you just get an idea of the cavalry-to-others ratio, good.

With a crafty opponent (and nothing in the rules states otherwise), you do not even know that: I move 3 units two towns, I roll 3 dice, I pick up my pieces and fiddle with them...

Are they cavalry or infantry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
A complementary question, concerning PURSUIT FIRE in 2nd Ed: are all units involved in the pursuit revealed, like in battle? Or do you just ask if there is retreating cavalry and then say "OK, I throw X dice"?

Revealed one at a time as you shoot them - and you are not required to use them (or reveal them if all enemy are eliminated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.