Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m interested in giving OVERLORD a try, but am not about to spend the extra money for a second Memoir set, since I probably won´t get to play in this way very often... (And none of my gaming buddies have an extra set)
Then it struck me, that to try the Omaha Beach scenario for starters (Or one of the others for that matter), I can make the second board + extra terrain hexes, with a colour photo copier. I can use some 1/72 scale soldiers I have lying around, for the extra infantry. (These guys are even "born" green and grey!) And I can borrow the extra tanks needed from Tide of Iron. Then all that´s needed is to find or make a few extra hedgehogs, sandbags and/or barbed wire. Seems doable, if you can live with the mismatched appearance of components, and is a cheap way of trying this game format, before possibly investing in a second copy!
Anyone ever tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You also need a second deck of cards as Overlord uses two command card decks. But for a "test" game, it might work. But to get the full experience, I really think you need a 2nd set. I ran the numbers for someone and you would use probably 90% of the 2nd set in an Overlord scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my first overlord using the snow-sand board as second board, with the Russians and Japanese figures standing for Americans and Germans, and a deck from Battlecry mixed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Axis and Allies Board Game plastic pieces to represent figures. They are available cheap from www.historicalboardgaming.com

I plan on getting UK tanks, Infantry, and cannons (I don't have the Med expansion); some Panther tanks for elite German armor markers, 6 88mm cannons to replace the ones in Memoir, 6 to 10 German soldiers to be SS, 6 German halftracks, some of the bunkers...probably 6-10; 6 US halftracks and maybe a few infantry to use for Ranger markers or marines or Engineers. I will also get some of the mechanized infantry markers for the Russians and some (6-10) tanks to use to mark Elite Russian armor.

This stuff is cheap and IMHO a lot better than the cardboard chits.

Oh yeah, you can buy extra card decks now...straight from Days of Wonder for $5 plus shipping.

I wish DoW would sell the pieces but they won't...so a gamer will do what a gamer will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.