artemus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only request this so as you can tell when someones stiffing you over on the postage when purchasing from Ebay and the like.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminology is important: Original box weight or standard box weight or perhaps just approximate box weight.
But we might as well add box dimensions at the same time.

Of course, this information does sometimes vary over time, so it might get more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artemus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Approximate, I'd suggest. Maybe this can be covered by having weight bands?

LT.EQ 250g
LT.EQ 500g
LT.EQ 750g
LT.EQ 1kg
LT.EQ 2kg
GT 2kg

I know that here in the UK postage charges are based to a degree on weight (and size), but these are almost certain to vary from country to country, so a standardised simplistic approach would be better, I'd suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obo55 wrote:
I only request this so as you can tell when someones stiffing you over on the postage when purchasing from Ebay and the like.

It would also be quite helpful for math trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some games like Acquire or Diplomacy, the box weight will be very different depending on the edition.

Users from USA will enter the weight in pounds and ounces, while the rest of the world will use kg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Onkst
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Users from USA will enter the weight in pounds and ounces, while the rest of the world will use kg

That's OK, that's what online converters are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
For some games like Acquire or Diplomacy, the box weight will be very different depending on the edition.

Not to mention public domain games like Go and Chess which come in a huge variety of forms. But even ignoring that, there are plenty of big size/weight differences between versions of modern commercial games (not even several decades old like Acquire and Diplomacy). E.g. Modern Art, Through the Desert, Quo Vadis?, Cave Troll, Condottiere, Cosmic Encounter etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donkst wrote:
Werbaer wrote:

That's OK, that's what online converters are for.

That's what software is for. Hey wait! BGG is software! Maybe it can do the conversion for you based on your preference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this discussed before, and I think the best suggestion was to put it in the wiki. That way, you can add version information and other things as appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

This is exactly the reason it doesn't seem feasible. Until we have the tools to differentiate weight by version, this would be a nightmare to figure out which weight corresponds to which version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
With respect, I have to disagree with putting it in the Wiki. The advantage of having weight as a standard field is that one can download a CSV (spreadsheet) file with the weights. Anyone who carries their games in a bag, tote, or duffle knows that games can overwhelm the carrier in weight--or space.

Myself, I got a roughly 5 cu.ft./150 litre duffel, and it's currently at over 55 lbs/25 kg. Had I known the weight and size of games, I would have opted for a smaller duffel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
With respect, I have to disagree with putting it in the Wiki. The advantage of having weight as a standard field is that one can download a CSV (spreadsheet) file with the weights. Anyone who carries their games in a bag, tote, or duffle knows that games can overwhelm the carrier in weight--or space.

Myself, I got a roughly 5 cu.ft./150 litre duffel, and it's currently at over 55 lbs/25 kg. Had I known the weight and size of games, I would have opted for a smaller duffel.

This seems like a pretty limited use case. How often do you buy bags to carry games? A little experience seems a pretty reasonable guide on this, and if your packed bag is nonetheless heavier than you want, there is a very simple solution: don't pack so many games.

Using a spreadsheet instead of common sense to analyze it seems like extreme geeky overkill anyway, like using a spreadsheet to decide how much food to store in your refrigerator. Some problems just don't need a computer to solve. But given that you want to use a spreadsheet of weight and size data, you still face the fundamental problem that the hard numbers are simply not unambiguously available for many games, so in any case you won't be able to just automatically plug them in from a "standard field". Further, analyzing size data seems dodgy, since you seem focused on volume, but the specific dimensions also matter for packing purposes, so you can't just add up some numbers to say "yes or no, does it fit in the bag?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isn't funagain enough for this type of info?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artemus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
Werbaer wrote:

This is exactly the reason it doesn't seem feasible. Until we have the tools to differentiate weight by version, this would be a nightmare to figure out which weight corresponds to which version.

I realise all the complexities involved in logging information for all the (identifiably) different editions, but isn't the BGG website basically driven by one mutha of a database. A database is used for storing data (he says, stating the obvious), which weight and size information are. The addition of a linked table storing columns of,

GameID, EditionYear, EditionDescription, BoxPhoto, ApproxWeight, H, W, D

, for example, should be possible.

Some information is better than none?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obo55 wrote:
I realise all the complexities involved in logging information for all the (identifiably) different editions...

Yeah, I agree, such a thing is possible. However, adding such a table is a non-trivial task. Splitting all the data for pictures, publishers, etc will be a headache. Of course, the community has done projects like this in the past (photo galleries), so at least it's not outside the realm of the possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artemus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unitoch wrote:
Yeah, I agree, such a thing is possible. However, adding such a table is a non-trivial task. Splitting all the data for pictures, publishers, etc will be a headache. Of course, the community has done projects like this in the past (photo galleries), so at least it's not outside the realm of the possible.

So we have the tools, yes? It all comes down to whether we want to go to the effort, based on the return, I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
...extreme geeky overkill...

Isn't this the core of BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artemus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
russ wrote:
...extreme geeky overkill...

Isn't this the core of BGG? :)

You beat me to it :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
like using a spreadsheet to decide how much food to store in your refrigerator.

You say that as though it's a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bazik123 wrote:
isn't funagain enough for this type of info?

I was also going to say that some online stores already do this. Funagain is one, and there are probably others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.