Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Martos
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other day I was playing a two player game with my wife and after the eight struggle the situation was:

Yellow controlled 4 provinces and red and blue two each (For info, red was the winner of the last struggle)

My wife had 3 yellow, 4 red and 3 blue cubes. Myself had 3 yellow, 3 red and 4 blue cubes.

Therefore,yellow faction controlled Siam but both of us had the same number of cubes in that color (A tie). According to the rules we had to look at the second faction in Siam but red and blue control 2 provinces each. The rules stayed that in case of a tie between factions, the one that last controlled a province is the winner. In this case,it would be red and my wife won because she had one more cube in this color.

But I don't know if that rule is applicable to a second place tie and if this situation is a tie then the person that played the last action car lose the game (in this case my wife)

So, who won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I agree the rules are not literally clear on that, but the intended spirit seems to be that you use the "most recently captured province" tie breaker for 2nd place faction as well as for 1st place faction.

Plus I was taught the game at Essen and my hazy memory is that we were told this is how it works, though I won't bet my head on that!

Plus many would say that there is a meta-rule that if in doubt, you should interpret the rules such that your wife should win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, your wife won.

The wording of the rules is indeed poor in this point.

Quote:
If factions are tied, the winning faction is whichever of the tied factions was the last to gain control of a province.

(by the way: The german original is of even worse wording! "Bei einem Gleichstand herrscht diejenige der am Gleichstand beteiligten Fraktionen, die zuletzt eine Machtübernahme gewonnen hat.")

The rule should include an additional sentence:

The second ranked faction is determined in the same manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm..

I haven't played the game yet, but I downloaded and read the rules from somewhere (I think here on the 'Geek) and they address the second tie breaker issue:

Quote:
If Siam is a British colony, the winning player is
the one who has the most complete sets of followers.
(A set consists of one blue, one red, and one yellow
follower each.) If there is a tie, the tied player who
played an action card last WINS.
NOTE: In a 4-player-game, the victory conditions are
slightly altered, see section 8.

If Siam is not a British colony, the winning player
is the one who has gathered the most followers of the
winning faction. If players are tied, victory goes to the
tied player who has the most followers of the second
ranked faction. While there is still a tie, the still-tied
player who played an action card last LOSES.

This seems pretty clear to me.

edit: included more in the quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Neil/Hatchling: the confusion was not about that kind of tie between players, but about a tie among the factions for 2nd place faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh!

My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Martos
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks very much!

After all these comments, I would have to accept defeat!!

She is going to love itcry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.