United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
After demoing and playing Espana 1936 this weekend at GameX in LA, I have a few questions and points to be clarified as we got a few of the mechanics slightly wrong in the first two games.

Q1.
Generals - Assuming there are more than one attacking unit and more than one defending unit in a box. The rules state that the attacking General must be used in the first attack in the box. After that first attack the General is used and turned to the inactive side.

Can the defender decide which of the (from 1 to a maximum of 4) "rounds" the defending General will support ?

Also, please confirm that Generals can used only one "round" of each multiple unit battle ?

Although the Defending general may be the attacker in the same turn.

Q2.
Cards used in combat - Is it correct that each side can use zero or one card (maximum) can be used to support each "round" of a multiple unit battle ? The card must be discarded after use and therefore only supports one "round" of the battle.

The Attacker declares the use of one card and the role as a Bonus or Penalty before the Defender.

Q3.
Event Cards - The rules do not state the order in which the Nationalist and Republicans plays their event cards, it says "Starting with the Nationalist side each player may play up to 3 event cards" while the Player Aid mat states that they should be played in turn, starting with the Nationalist.

Should the players play event cards one at a time, alternating between players, starting with the Nationalist player or does the Nationalist play up to 3 event cards followed by the Republican ?

The alternating between players seems more fair and consistent, otherwise the Republican can react to the events after seeing all of the Nationalist events cards.

All of these points are covered in the rules, but are not 100% clear to mine and others interpretation. These questions have also been posted on consimworld, although they have been revised here.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Catalán
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI Mr.Porter! Many thanks for your questions.

Q1 YES; YES YES, easy

Q2 The card only suport a single combat of a round, are discarded after.

The Attacker declares the use of one card and the role as a Bonus or Penalty before the Defender. All OK!!

Q3 "The alternating between players seems more fair and consistent, otherwise the Republican can react to the events after seeing all of the Nationalist events cards"
His interpretation is correct, this rule is made with this idea.

The cards must be used carefully. and are designed for use as an event, but if you spend in a fight, they represent a special effort to get a better attack or disrupt the enemy, losing a event for it.

Thanks to play my game, and enjoy!

Antonio Catalán

PS; Sorry for my bad english!!!
PS2:An advice, play the basic game a couple of times before entering the Naval rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.

The only part of the game that has caused some confusion are the - and + dice roll modifiers in battles, now I think I understand them

As you say, the use of the cards as battle cards instead of as event cards is a difficult decision for the players, as the events bring in many good things.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Catalán
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Porter...
This is the game!!
What do you think about the game?

Antonio Catalán

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquim Dorca
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The play of "Event Cards" should be done following an alternative "slot" basis.

Nationalist first "slot": I play "X"
Republican first slot: "pass"

Nationalist second slot: I play "Y"
Republican second slot: plays "Z"

Nationalist third "slot": pass
Republican third slot: I play "Ofensiva Republicana"

END

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Savalls wrote:
The play of "Event Cards" should be done following an alternative "slot" basis.

Nationalist first "slot": I play "X"
Republican first slot: "pass"

Nationalist second slot: I play "Y"
Republican second slot: plays "Z"

Nationalist third "slot": pass
Republican third slot: I play "Ofensiva Republicana"

END

Yes, i think a player can "pass" instead of a card, yet can only pass and play cards for a total of three times. i.e. the pass counts as a card play although no card is used.

this gives the player the chance to wait before playing an important card, and the Republican will always get to play the last event card.

The Republicans need all the help they can get !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:

The Attacker declares the use of one card and the role as a Bonus or Penalty before the Defender.

Tim

I've assumed that the attacker has to use the Bonus and the defender has to use the Penalty. So I've assumed wrongly? On page 5 under section 3 the rules state: "Bonuses can support a friendly attack by adding more dice to the die-roll or by positively modifying the DR result. Penalties work exactly the other way around (i.e., by subtracting dice from the opponent DR or by negatively affecting the opponent's result".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Catalán
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, You can bonus your dices or penalty de dices of the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.