Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillermo Cantu
United States
Edinburg
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I'm planning to make an order but I'm quite undecided about which games to buy, so I'd appreciate any comments you have about them.

I divided the games in 3 categories, and will order at least one from each of them. (I might order up to 4 in total)

5-Player
this is to play with a group of friends, but if it works well with 2 players that would be great
-Rheinlander
-La Citta
-Beowulf the Legend
-Hermagor
-Mission Red Planet
-Hacienda

Medium Weight
this are games that seem interesting to me. They should work well with 2 players as I'll play them with my wife most of the time, but they can also be played with another couple
-Notre Dame
-Vikings
-Stone Age
-Pillars of the Earth
-Reef Encounter
-Magna Grecia
-Amazonas

2-Player
These are games to play with my wife
-Yinsh
-Kahuna
-Pick & Pack
-Battle Line
-Blue Moon

So, what do you recommend I should order?
I'd like to get games that are not too similar among them, and also not too similar to games I already have (Carcassone, Alhambra, Mexica, Oltre Mare, Great Wall of China, On the Underground, Rosenkonig).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I would not classify Reef Encounter as medium weight. It can be quite hefty, and is a little bit hard to get into, I think. Still an excellent game.

Anyway, I would say that you can't go wrong with any of those 5-players. The "risk" mechanic in Beowulf can sometimes turn people off, but I think it's a fine game. La Citta is a little bit longer than the others, so that may be a draw or a turn-off for you.

For the mediums, I would probably go with Vikings. Also works well with 4. I think I like Notre Dame more, but I'm not sure about it with only 2 players. Pillars also seems less interesting with 2.

As for 2-players, I guess it depends on what you want - seems like a pure abstract wouldn't be bad to add to your collection, so Yinsh is a good choice, but a bit heavier than the others, I think. A nice light-ish card game like Battle Line or Lost Cities would be good as well. Those feel closer to traditional card games, whereas Blue Moon more scratches the CCG itch, if that's what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Guillermo,

I would buy:

La Città
Hermagor
Notre Dame
Pillars of the Earth
Batle Line

... wait... i did buy them

cheers
costa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Pletter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
naugem wrote:
Hi.

I'm planning to make an order but I'm quite undecided about which games to buy, so I'd appreciate any comments you have about them.

I divided the games in 3 categories, and will order at least one from each of them. (I might order up to 4 in total)

5-Player
this is to play with a group of friends, but if it works well with 2 players that would be great
-Rheinlander
-La Citta
-Beowulf the Legend
-Hermagor
-Mission Red Planet
-Hacienda

Medium Weight
this are games that seem interesting to me. They should work well with 2 players as I'll play them with my wife most of the time, but they can also be played with another couple
-Notre Dame
-Vikings
-Stone Age
-Pillars of the Earth
-Reef Encounter
-Magna Grecia
-Amazonas

2-Player
These are games to play with my wife
-Yinsh
-Kahuna
-Pick & Pack
-Battle Line
-Blue Moon

So, what do you recommend I should order?
I'd like to get games that are not too similar among them, and also not too similar to games I already have (Carcassone, Alhambra, Mexica, Oltre Mare, Great Wall of China, On the Underground, Rosenkonig).

Thanks!

Picking one from each category, I would:

- Pick La Citta as your 5p game. It is long (with 5) and heavy though, but an excellent game. It also scales very well, and plays remarkably well with 2 if very different.

- Pick Reef Encounter as your Medium Weight (which, as said, it is not). It is, however, completely different from any other game and very good. It is also best with 2.

- Pick Kahuna as your 2p wife game. Kahuna is perfect as a semi-abstract game that does not last too long but is fairly cutthroat; much more than a filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the first category, as I've never played any of the games you mentioned. However, my picks for a nice, meaty 5 player game would definitely be Power Grid. Plays ok with 2 (ymmv), but really shines with 5-6 players.

For "medium weight" game, I'd go with Pillars of the Earth. Great components (including one of the most beautiful game boards ever made), and great gameplay for 2-4 people.

For 2-player game, I'd pick Battle Line. It's a relatively light card game, but with good strategy and tension. My wife really likes this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My picks just from your list of selections:

5-Player:
1 Hacienda
2 La Citta

Medium Weight:
1 Notre Dame
2 Pillars of the Earth
3 Reef Encounter (a little heavier than medium weight)

2-Player:
1 Battle Line
2 Yinsh
3 Blue Moon

Overall I'd personally rank and purchase them in this order:

1 Notre Dame
2 Pillars of the Earth
3 Battle Line
4 Reef Encounter
5 Yinsh
6 Blue Moon
7 Hacienda
8 La Citta

Like everyone else I could give 30 more recommendations but that just makes things more confusing. You have some good choices in there and you won't really know what's good or what's great until you try more with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Cantu
United States
Edinburg
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems La Citta and Battle Line have more support, while the medium weight category is more contested with Notre Dame, Pillars and Reef Encounter.

I thought Reef Encounter might not really be a medium weight, but it didn't fit in the 5-player category so I included it in the other one

And now I'm thinking Key Harvest also looks cool

Thanks for your responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.