Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I'd like to add a simple poll for degree of language dependence to game pages. HOw should the poll read, and what should the options be? Let me stress, SIMPLE. I don't want a zillion options here.

Possibilities:
How much language-dependent content is there in this game?
None.
A little.
Some--consider paste-ups.
A lot--extensive paste-ups needed to play.

Rate the language dependence of this game:
high
(medium?)
low
language independent

Other suggestions?

Things to consider--some games have a lot of language dependent content that is irrelevant to gameplay. Wildlife Adventure falls into this category. I only want one poll with only a few options, so I want to word this carefully to make the results as useful as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dakarp wrote:
How much language-dependent content is there in this game?
None.
A little.
Some--consider paste-ups.
A lot--extensive paste-ups needed to play.

I like this option as it helps anchor an otherwise arbitrary scale (hi, med, low). But I also think the opening question should be rephrased a bit....

The language content in this game is....

* Non-existent (icons used)
* Some language, but can be ignored (atmosphere only)
* Basic words (easily translated w/ a reference sheet)
* Some sentences - paste-ups would help
* Detailed paragraphs - paste-ups or excessive reference required

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grinwold has already done a lot of work with this, so you might want to take his "Language Level" tags into consideration as well.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15467
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roach
United Kingdom
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why re-invent the wheel? Grimwold (and others) have done a lot of work on this. The definitions are clear and by using the tag facility to record the judgement they are easy to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes for Grimwold's too. For those who don't want to check his GeekList out, here's the levels:

0 - no language dependence at all (Chess, Go, Carcassonne, Tikal, Ticket to Ride)
1 - sparse text that is very easily memorized (Settlers)
2 - some cards and stuff but you can do with a little sheet of paper with translations (Cities & Knights of Catan)
3 - Lots of text. To play this, you need paste-ups, using a translation beside is simply not possible. (Talisman, Arkham Horror)
4 - Mechanically unplayable/knowledgeable unplayable in another language (Scrabble, trivia games)

In my opinion this is the best way to classify them. I agree that opinions might differ (Agricola family game, is that a 1 or a 2? Agricola full game, it it a 2 or a 3?) but I think the definitions are easy enough and it covers all you need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kiss
Daniel, have I told you recently I love you?

Regarding the poll descriptions (which need to be more descriptive than simply levels I think)

No necessary in-game language
Some necessary language - small crib sheet required
Moderate in-game language - extensive crib sheet or paste ups
Extensive use of language - too much for paste ups or crib sheets
Don't try this at home! - Unplayable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
OK, for the poll I would really prefer short (few words) definitions without keys. I'm happy to use Grimwold's system, but I don't want use the numbers--just a text key.

Language content of this game:
No text
sparse text
Lots of text
Unplayable in another language

Anyone want to improve that? It can have a bit more wording, but it shouldn't be too much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great descriptions Dan.

A little clarification might be useful on whether the text is necessary... some games with text are playable as no-text games because of having icons as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
OK, for the poll I would really prefer short (few words) definitions without keys. I'm happy to use Grimwold's system, but I don't want use the numbers--just a text key.

No text
sparse text
Lots of text
Unplayable in another language

Anyone want to improve that? It can have a bit more wording, but it shouldn't be too much more.

You seem to have left out a middle level since your proposal has 4 and Grimwold's has 5, as I understand it. There's "sparse text that is trivially learnable (e.g. titles on cards)" and "sparse text that needs a cheatsheet (e.g. sentences of rules text on cards, e.g. Hellas)". (Followed by "Lots of text (too much for a cheatsheet to be realistic/feasible, e.g. Arkham Horror), and finally "Unplayable unless you know the language (because language is part of the game, e.g. Scrabble)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIC

For people who care about the project I started a poll about this before Grimwold told me about this thread . In the BGG suggestions forum

suggestion thread

dakarp wrote:

Things to consider--some games have a lot of language dependent content that is irrelevant to gameplay. Wildlife Adventure falls into this category. I only want one poll with only a few options, so I want to word this carefully to make the results as useful as possible.

So the question has to be how much does language influence gameplay.

I would also give an example of a game that someone knows
chess or other abstracts would be logical for 0 but I have chosen Power grid.

0 - NO in-game language. Example Power Grid
1 - some language, e.g. cards - small crib sheet. Example Catan
2 - moderate language - e.g. extensive crib sheet. Example San Juan
3 - heavy language. too much for paste up or crib sheets Example Agricola
4 - Language game; example Scrabble

As result I would like to read description.

I also would opt for the possibility of awarding multiple answers. (Agricola, Um reifenbreite are both games that have another language dependancy according to what you play (e.g. :family game, beginner rules without chance cards)

This would also be handy because some games are made language independant in a second edition or an edition by a different publisher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

At least, keep the 5 categories instead of 4, I'd say. Even if it's one more, I think it has its place there, as the levels Grimwold are pretty deep down by now.

No text (0)
Very sparse text (1)
Moderate amount of text (2)
Lots of text (3)
Mechanically unplayable in another language (4)

I would prefer the "mechanically unplayable" to be there, to avoid people going "Damn, Agricola has so many cards, it's unplayable in another language!!", as category 4 is a very distinct category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I would prefer the "mechanically unplayable" to be there, to avoid people going "Damn, Agricola has so many cards, it's unplayable in another language!!", as category 4 is a very distinct category.

On the other hand, "mechanically unplayable" is a function not only of the amount of language-specific material, but also the game's complexity and intended audience. Some games, like Polyglot, would be in a "foreign language instruction game" category. And I think some games just happen to be more fun if you don't speak the language well (Apples to Apples: Yiddish Edition) or at all (Dej sem Mozek).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about

None Carcassone
No functional text Place name and/or flavor text only
A few phrases needed Die Siedler
Cheat Sheets needed San Juan
Paste ups needed Agricola
Fluency required Scrabble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.