Hide
8 Posts

Blackbeard» Forums » Rules

Subject: General Pardon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuji MIYANISHI
msg tools
Hi. I have questions for General Pardon card.

The PDF Rule 17.2 (19p) says `every Pirate who moves into an English Port is Pardoned and is Retired—after converting Booty (if any) to Net Worth—as per 18.12A' but 18.12A is rule of converting Net Worth to VP.

Q1. A Pirate can retire in Anti-Pirate or Neutral Ports?
Q2. A Pirate can convert Booty in Anti-Pirate Ports? How many is the rate?

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Q1 - yes, as long as they are English.

Q2 - I would consider them pro-pirate during this card's effect: so a 1:1 exchange.

As far as the referene to 8.12A - it seems more proper to follow 9.43 (convert booty to Net worth first) then follow 18.12A. That's how I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Q2, I asked this very question over on CSW and Neil responded.

Quote:
What is the Booty to Net Worth exchange rate in an anti-Pirate Port?

Zero. He can retire, but he can't get anything for his booty. The parentheses "(if any)" should probably read "(if any, and if applicable)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
And we had an issue where the second time the card came up, it was the second from the bottom card. The person drawing (call them Player A) obviously needed the bottom card to fill his hand, but Player B would then have to draw a card, and there's only the third drawing of General Pardon left.

Does this end the game, meaning only Player A had a turn to get to an English port , or do you not put the General Pardon card in the draw pile until everyone's had a chance? Seems unfair the first way, but that's how it reads - I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
And we had an issue where the second time the card came up, it was the second from the bottom card. The person drawing (call them Player A) obviously needed the bottom card to fill his hand, but Player B would then have to draw a card, and there's only the third drawing of General Pardon left.

Does this end the game, meaning only Player A had a turn to get to an English port , or do you not put the General Pardon card in the draw pile until everyone's had a chance? Seems unfair the first way, but that's how it reads - I think.

That's the way it reads, and it has happened to me twice. It just means that players cannot rely on being able to retire on the general Pardon.

One idea is to say that players actually sitting in an English Port when the card is drawn may retire, but that isn't currently in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the element of this rule but believe that it comes too soon, especially in a 4 or 5 person game. The age of piracy in the world was clearly coming to a close and there were many signs that people in the business should make moves to get out of it. The "third time is a charm" element sends a couple warnings to the players that they should wrap up their adventures if they want to have a chance to win. Planning this can be difficult in games with more people because if the card comes up later for the first time you can have only one or two turns to finish your activities. If this is the case, other players can completely hamstring you with the play of their cards on you. It can easily happen that you have the winning pirate but cannot get into port before the game disappears out from under you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bugmiya wrote:
Hi. I have questions for General Pardon card.

The PDF Rule 17.2 (19p) says `every Pirate who moves into an English Port is Pardoned and is Retired—after converting Booty (if any) to Net Worth—as per 18.12A' but 18.12A is rule of converting Net Worth to VP.

Two questions based on an enjoyable 3-player game we played last night -

1. The wording of the General Pardon seems to suggest that the Pardoning and Retiring are *not* optional - i.e. if you arrive in Port while the Pardon is in effect, you're *expected* to Retire and the process happens automatically (as part of the same action). Did we interpret this correctly? Either way, as mentioned above, we were wondering how the Pardon affected Pirates already in English Ports at the time.

2. We assumed the Pirate could convert Booty to Net Worth before retiring, as this is mentioned in the rules (though imprecisely) - however does this include Ransoming of any Hostages and their conversion to Net Worth, or are those lost...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Klempa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strangecolours wrote:
1. The wording of the General Pardon seems to suggest that the Pardoning and Retiring are *not* optional - i.e. if you arrive in Port while the Pardon is in effect, you're *expected* to Retire and the process happens automatically (as part of the same action). Did we interpret this correctly? Either way, as mentioned above, we were wondering how the Pardon affected Pirates already in English Ports at the time.

Although not specifically stated, I would think retiring is optional. But if you want to retire, it is combined with the move into port.
For consistency, I would think that a Pirate already in port would have the same option. but if he wants to retire via Pardon, he must do it as his first action (no In-Port Activities action first).

Neil?

strangecolours wrote:
2. We assumed the Pirate could convert Booty to Net Worth before retiring, as this is mentioned in the rules (though imprecisely) - however does this include Ransoming of any Hostages and their conversion to Net Worth, or are those lost...?

I would say no. You are only allowed to convert existing Booty to NW.

Pirate: "Hey, Governor. I'm here for the pardon."
Gov: "Jolly good. I've got the papers right here. Do you have any 'cargo' you would like to sell?"
Pirate: "Some. And that reminds me; would you be interested in buying back your daughter?"
Gov: *BANG!*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.