Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When you are placing your first leader do you have free choice to place any color you wish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Most people go with black, as it can score them points no matter what tiles they add after, but I have seen all colours be placed first.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can you explain what the black one can do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black leader is a semi-wild card leader. He scores for any black tiles placed in his kingdom, however he also scores for other colored tiles placed in his kingdom if that respective leader is not in that kingdom.

For example let's say a kingdom has your black leader and another players green leader.

You place a blue tile in that kingdom, you will score a point for blue because of your black leader.
However if either you or your opponent plays a green tile then your opponent will score a green point because of his/her green leader in the kingdom.

I tend to also play black first, and then a red tile next to him so I score a red point and at same time reinforce his strength in that kingdom. It should also be noted that I have yet to win a game, however I have come in second place quite a bit, of course I also play a lot of 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a leader in any colour in a kindgom and add a tile to that kingdom that is the same colour as the leader, you get a point in that colour. If you don't have a leader, you don't get the point -- except if you have the black leader in that kingdom. If you have the black leader in that kingdom, you get the points in the added colour even if the added tile is not black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes if you are not going first and the other player(s) have been careless you can snag a treasure by placing your Green leader first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first turn, order of placement rearely matters but invariably the first two placements are the black and green leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyones help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Rob is correct, in the majority of games most people will place their black and green leaders on their first turn. It covers off any old tile and the possibility of an early treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand why Green is particularly better than Red. I can see the Blue has fewer opportunities for creating a monument, but have I missed some special characteristic of Green?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you are placing your first leader do you have free choice to place any color you wish?

I'm curious why you would think a specific color would have to go first.

Quote:
I don't understand why Green is particularly better than Red. I can see the Blue has fewer opportunities for creating a monument, but have I missed some special characteristic of Green?

The green leader is the only way to obtain the versatile and powerful treasure cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few treasures that can be connected in two turns of moves. If you don't have your leader down someone else can connect to your kingdom and they not only get a treasure but may well get to choose which one is removed. If the choice is available they are always going to choose the one that has your leaders next to it. Having the Trader (Green Leader) down helps reduce the chances of this happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, only the Trader can pick up the Treasures. I wish the rules had highlighted that information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.