Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! I went through a period awhile back of purging some games from my collection that weren't getting played. Like a knucklehead, I let C&C:Ancients go. (And after all that stickering...) yuk I now have SERIOUS seller's regret and plan to get a copy of the 2nd Edition.

I'm curious about the dice for 2nd Ed. I seem to recall that I wasn't terribly fond of the quality of the dice in the original release. Have the dice been upgraded in 2nd Ed.? I've seen posting for the dice that Valley Games have available. Should I get a set of these or are the 2nd Ed. dice good to go?

I know mileage varies on a topic like this. Just looking for your opinions! THANKS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Ed dice were hollow-2-pieces crap.

2nd Ed dice are solid and fine.

VG dice are wooden and awesome!

So if you want a "deluxe" set go for the VG dice, if not you can very well play with the 2nd Ed ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you seal those wooden dice from Valley otherwise you might experience some fading. I used thin coats of laquer and have been pleased with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the second edition dice. They are a little bigger than the average dice, but they are solid and I have had no issues with the stickers.

I actually find the valley dice a little annoying, since they are extremely rounded and tend to roll forever and all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
they are extremely rounded and tend to roll forever and all over the place.

Two words: dice tray. I have been using a cheap, plastic, round one with a velvet base for years. I bought it at a regular toy shop many years ago, and have since used it for many different games, to great satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with R. on sealing-- not only are there fading problems, but the surfaces- especially the nice metallic purple helmets-- can chip a bit.

I'm also with Dan in that the "spin" can be annoying, even when using a box to roll in.

Back when we were scrambling to do something to avoid the 1st edition dice, I got some blanks from several "teacher supply stores" like this one.

http://www.eaieducation.com/530504.html

With the 90% labels offered to download, I made my own dice-- even tho 2nd edition is much nicer and I have some VG ones too, these are still my favorites and preferred by several of my friends. They're about 1/2 way between 2nd edition and VG in size, have a nice weight, and don't spin.

I still have a lot of blanks I never used, so if anyone wants to set up a trade with me (check my list) I can add some of those as part of the bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sokadr wrote:
Make sure you seal those wooden dice from Valley otherwise you might experience some fading. I used thin coats of laquer and have been pleased with the results.

I used a high gloss lacquer and they look awesome!

I also have a nice dice tray that I picked up at Gen Con a while back, and it works great (Nice dark wood walls, a leather bottom with a Celtic knott design).

The spin is a bit crazy because of the seriously rounded corners, but it just adds to the suspense...(yes, it's a bit annoying, but doesn't happen every time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.