Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have developed a card gernerated system to replace the dice in Fire and Fury. It was play tested at Kubla Con over the Memorial Day weekend to great reviews. Below is an example of one of the cards used in the game.

The card provides for the four major functions;Manuever, Fire, Charge, Leader casualty/ammo depletion.
A. The Top number in the circle provide a D10 result for the Manuever Chart and for any other D10 needs.
B. The Fire is handled on the columns on either side of the card. It is color coded to give you a result for the number of fire factors involved in the attack. Die modifiers are now shifts up or down the chart.
C. Charge is the pentigon in the middle. It actually provides a charge differential, with the picture in the backround and the color of the D10 circle denoting in whose favor.
D. The bottom of the card has the event block which announces wounded leader, low ammo, KIA, ect...

The card system has some nice benifits.
1. It allows us to add in tailored event cards to fit the senario. For the convention we had Gen. Fremont in action and we added cards that caused his units to delay or discount Fremonts leader bonus.
2. The die differntial was tweeked for charges, which added low charge differentials and removed some of the more drastic results. It had the happy effect of a few desparate struggles.
3. There is no more die rolling, so no more discusions about cocked dice. With a slight modification to the sequence of play, drawing all manuever cards after Attach/Detach leaders, The game moves along twice as fast. At the convention, with 10 players, and some of them new to the game, An entire game turn was completed in under a half hour!

So, there you have it. hopefully some of the people who played at the convetion will chime in on how these cards worked. But as it stands, I cant see playing this game with out the cards from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a player aid image I created to help exlpain the card.
White squares in the fire box are Desultry, Grey is disorder, Gold is one stand, Blue is Two stands, and red is Three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
I played Hooker on the left flank, didn’t do that well, but I had a lot of fun playing. The group ran a great game, and kept it moving. The card system was great, sped up the game a lot. I am hoping to bring this card system to Age of Eagles.

I downloaded the cards, I will be using them in some upcoming games.

John thanks again for a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I played Hooker on the left flank, didn’t do that well, but I had a lot of fun playing. The group ran a great game, and kept it moving. The card system was great, sped up the game a lot. I am hoping to bring this card system to Age of Eagles.

I downloaded the cards, I will be using them in some upcoming games.

John thanks again for a great game

Thanks John,
Just a note. All the cards have not been uploaded yet, and I goofed up and up loaded two duplicates. There should be twelve sheets for 108 cards(eight events). I will let you know when it gets worked out with BGG.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks John,
Just a note. All the cards have not been uploaded yet, and I goofed up and up loaded two duplicates. There should be twelve sheets for 108 cards(eight events). I will let you know when it gets worked out with BGG.

O.K. what you need for a full deck are images: Card Sheet 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15. Images, Card Sheet 4, Card Sheet 6, Card Sheet 14 are the duplicates. Tootles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, I will print these out and be using them this coming weekend.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, I have made the card deck for Age of Eagles. I have about half the files posted on the Age of Eagles game page. I also have a sample sheet posted in Age of Eagles Images. Check'em out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
John,

I have downloaded the complete set and have been using them. The group likes the cards, it appears to plays faster, no longer needing to look up any charts.

I have downloaded your Napoleonic set also. I converted the Fire and Fury card set and have been using it for the Age of Eagles set. It appears to work fine, still playtesting it, but will let you know.

I changed out the Confederate and Union on the card face to a french or a group of allied flags for the melee modifiers.

I removed the out of Ammo, as Age of Eagles does not use out of ammo.

Great addition to the Fire and Fury game,

If you have not played Fire and Fury using this card set, I would recommand that you give it a go. It appears to speed up the game play, and allows one to add special events to suit the Sceniro.

John

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
The Fire & Fury fire chart is different than the Age of Eagles'.
Also, Leader casualties are slightly different(70% KIA for charismatic Leaders)

I have a complete deck of cards made up for age of Eagles.
Let me know if you want the AOE Deck. I can e-mail you the 14 jpg files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to give this a try, thank you for posting it here. You mention die modifers in fire combat move you up/down the chart on the card, do you do the same for charge combat modifiers to adjust the differential on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Marsella
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The melee result is detirmined by figuring the overall die modifier. i.e. +3 for Confederates and +1 for Union gives a 2 shift in favor of the Confederate. If the card result was a Union 1, the net result would a Confederate 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.